• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Supercharger advice..

07AVSS

Hey folks, In the process of overhauling my Avs drive line..  I have a different thread in the Avalanche stories section..
I am re building my original 5.3,, Had my 4L60 rebuilt and substantially beefed up at the same time..

Engine mods are mild,  Heads have been ported and polished,  New Comp low end torque cam and valve train and
JBA shorty headers..    I was looking at supercharger kits but at 5/6 grand while I am building another hot rod project
thats just a bit much..    Then I noticed on e bay that there seem to be a fair amount of the superchargers off the
CTS V Cadillacs out there..  Typically selling around 500.00 or so..  I assume it would bolt right onto the 5.3 given
the fact that all the LS motors have the same geometry.  I am wondering about the computer side of the coin, but it
would seem a way to get the supercharged engine I would love to have without breaking the bank ??? 

Can My Big Toy or any of you other supercharger gurus chime in with some expertise ???

Thanks !!

:B:

I believe the intake ports are different so it's not just a bolt on and tune. You would need the 6.0L, 6.2L truck heads with the square/rectangle ports or aftermarket. They are very good flowing heads and not sure of the compatibility with the 5.3L someone may jump in and answer that.

Also you need allot more that just the supercharger so make sure the ones for sale have the intercooler, heat exchanger, circ pump, hoses, intake tubing, pulleys, belts and as many parts as possible otherwise you could end up spending allot chasing down missing pieces...

Randy said:
I believe the intake ports are different so it's not just a bolt on and tune. You would need the 6.0L, 6.2L truck heads with the square/rectangle ports or aftermarket. They are very good flowing heads and not sure of the compatibility with the 5.3L someone may jump in and answer that.

I too think compatible heads are going to be an issue for you.  I think all of the GM stock rectangular port heads require use of at least a 4" bore and you can't bore a 5.3 out that far.  There may be some aftermarket heads out there that could help fix this, but aftermarket heads usually run at least $900 each.  By the time you chase everything else down you are probably in the neighborhood of the complete kits.

I'd suggest getting a second-hand supercharger kit made for a truck at least very similar to yours.  My supercharger is third-hand.  I think I paid less then what a pair of new aftermarket heads would cost you.

I suggest you regularly troll on the performancetrucks.com forum's parts for sale section.

enoniam said:
I suggest you regularly troll on the performancetrucks.com forum's parts for sale section.

This is also what I would suggest. I went over there this weekend and saw an MP112 and a TVS1900 for sale. I didn't pay any attention to price as I'm not in the market. I you decide to go this route just try to make sure, to the best of your abilities, that the person you are buying from is reputable. I bought my Yank TT2600 there without any issues.

Here is something you may want to look at, it tells you what fits what.

www.chevrolet.com/performance/parts-catalog.html

I'm in the same boat I not up to date with the small blocks but enoniam,  MyBigToy and Randy are a great resources for the knowledge I need.

Thanks to all for the advice..    Now that you folks pointed out the port issue on the heads
its quite easy to see that it would not fit my heads..  I did not realize the LS9 style were different.

I will take your advice and begin watching for a good used set up and get her back up and running
without the blower in the meantime !!

Thanks

(y)

If you haven't rebuilt the 5.3L yet you can pick up 6.2L truck motors fairly cheap and would make more power.. just a thought..

Good luck

There's a 2007 L92 out of a Cadi on ebay right now for $5,750, free shipping. It comes complete with all accessories, engine wiring harness, computer, trans/fuel lines, gas pedal and a 6L80.  It's a complete take out, not a bad deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-L92-ENGINE-6-2L-LIFTOUT-W-6L80-TRANSMISSION-LS3-/321649837475?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae3d305a3&vxp=mtr

That is a really good deal for sure..  I seriously thought about that,  Even looked at an LS2 and tranny out of a wrecked
Trailblazer SS for more money...  Thats a better price than I was seeing on 6.0's around here.  But being a long time muscle
car guy, I decided I wanted to stay " Numbers Matching" just for fun..  So I am re doing all the original stuff, including my
4L60.. 

I will be happy with the cam and headers for a bit..  And keep an eye out for a deal on a supercharger...  >:D

I appreciate it for sure...

No problem, I like original also but our AV's really don't fall into that category yet. There's also a supercharger on ebay for a 5.3L...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lsx-supercharger-5-3l-supercharger-/131414780257?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e98ee6961&vxp=mtr

My original set up was a 5.3 with a M112 on it.I ended up getting a smaller pulley for the charger.Then I decided to go with 6.0 cadi engine,my 112 bolted right up,went with the yellow lifters, GT2-3 cam ,meth as well as a whole stack of goodies (too early in the morning).I picked up Monster transmission "Monster in a box" for the full trans rebuild.I had Allen Nelson from Nelson racing do my Computer set up,all I needed was an HP Tuners package. I was going to go further but priority got in the way (my son).hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for the supercharger link..  Put it on my watch list and then it was gone..   Have to keep an eye out..

But I am guessing to keep Momma happy I better get her back on the road before I pull the next trigger for the SC !

Old No 7, It sounds like you got everything and the kitchen sink under that Avys hood..  Must be a 10 sec
truck at least..  Sounds cool, but a bit much for a daily driver !!

Got any Vids of her on the track ??

(y)

Probably not in the 10's, maybe in the 13's if it's making around 500 flywheel horsepower. It takes allot to move a 6000 lb AV with the aerodynamics of shoe box down the road.

X2 it's going to take a lot more than that to get into the 10s. DrX is the only one to do that so far but he has a Twin Superchaged LSX

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,89739.350.html

Back