• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Does anyone have the actual specs for the stock speakers in an '02?

GeauxLSU

The stereo, when new was beyond impressive to me for a stock system.  However, as expected, the (front) speakers are shot and need to be replaced.  I assume the OEM part number is 15038566 but thanks for any verification.  http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15038566-Original-Equipment-Speaker/dp/B000QGOPO0/ref=sr_1_2/175-6711639-0923952?ie=UTF8&qid=1425408589&sr=8-2&keywords=speakers+for+2002+chevy+avalanche
I'll get those if needed but would prefer a non paper/foam coned set, HOWEVER I want the specs to be identical when it comes to impedance etc in that I've heard too many 'better speakers' that sound absolutely anemic due to mismatches with the head unit.  I do NOT want to replace the head unit or add an amp, just want to replace shot speakers with "as good as new" but hopefully add some durability.  If such an animal doesn't exist (which perhaps is the case?), I'll just get the OEMs again.
And yeah, I'd prefer the same mounting hole dimensions.  Hey, ask for it all right?  :D
Thanks in advance for any help.

Nothing fancy replace with 8 ohm and you will be ok.
Check crutchfield for size and fit stuff...

If you want same mounting holes and simple install then junk yard or buy new fromChevy if they still make them.

ygmn said:
Nothing fancy replace with 8 ohm and you will be ok.

Why would he want to get 8 Ohm 6.5s when the stock units are 4 Ohm?

In my opinion, I wouldn't replace them with OEM units. You can get some decent 6.5" coax speakers for the doors that will sound better than the stock units for the $85 you would spend on the ones posted above.
Check out the Polk Audio DB651. They really perform great for the $$
The Kicker CS65 is a good performer as well.

Calicak89 said:
Why would he want to get 8 Ohm 6.5s when the stock units are 4 Ohm?

In my opinion, I wouldn't replace them with OEM units. You can get some decent 6.5" coax speakers for the doors that will sound better than the stock units for the $85 you would spend on the ones posted above.
Check out the Polk Audio DB651. They really perform great for the $$
The Kicker CS65 is a good performer as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Avalanche%201500|416&Year=2002|2002&n=1077068&newVehicle=1&s=car&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive
It appears these are rated at 60 RMS  & 180 peak.  My concern is that the stock head unit won't drive these sufficiently (hence my 'anemic' reference' before).  That's why I was hoping to find the exact same specs on the stock speakers to try and get as close as possible as I was pleasantly surprised with their performance when new.  Any idea if the specs exist anywhere on the stock speakers?  I sure can't find them.  I'm long beyond the days of thumping or head banging just want full sound and ideally more durable speakers (I hope to drive this thing until it disintegrates).  
Thanks again.

One of my front door speakers went, so I replaced with an inexpensive two way set. They sound like crap, so now I am looking for a cheap stock speaker. Never had this problem before. The new ones lack bass and low end, sound very tinney.

Need4Speed said:
One of my front door speakers went, so I replaced with an inexpensive two wat set. They sound like crap, so now I am looking for a cheap stock speaker. Never had this problem before. The new ones lack bass and low end, sound very tinney.
They were 4 ohm speakers? 

I thought I remember mine saying 6 ohm....

I replaced mine with Blaunkput years ago all around.
Components... happy since. better bass.

Calicak89 said:
Good luck, I messaged my buddy who works at the gm dealer with that part number and he said he couldn't get any info on them. He says that AC delco rarely publishes the specifications of their equipment and trying to get it from them is worse than pulling teeth. He said that there were two head units used in the 2002 model year. One put out 15 watts RMS at 4 Ohm and the other was 18 watts RMS at 4 Ohm.
No idea which head unit I have (and doubt it makes a difference based on that) but thanks in that I guess I'll give up trying to find the speaker specs.  Good to know it's a sub 20w head unit though. 

Don't forget though that the 02 models have a crappy amp behind the glove box. I had to bypass that before installing an aftermarket head unit because it sucks. Oh BTW a member on the forum used a scope to check the signal and proved that the stock head unit sounds even better with the amp bypassed than with the amp in the circuit.
I know I even tried it too before going to aftermaket and the stock head unit does sound better without the stock amp in place. Adding aftermarket speakers even improved it a bit more before I finally went all custom.

Dluvr22 said:
Don't forget though that the 02 models have a crappy amp behind the glove box. I had to bypass that before installing an aftermarket head unit because it sucks. Oh BTW a member on the forum used a scope to check the signal and proved that the stock head unit sounds even better with the amp bypassed than with the amp in the circuit.
I know I even tried it too before going to aftermaket and the stock head unit does sound better without the stock amp in place. Adding aftermarket speakers even improved it a bit more before I finally went all custom.
I was very happy with the original sound but if it's an easy bypass I suppose I'd tackle it.  What after market speakers did you get when you were using the original head unit? 

My replacement speakers that sound like junk are 4 ohms.

97fa4b5a99f79206d52b6bc3c0df7a56_zps8e34d23f.jpg

I am tempted to add a double din to the truck but assume that I will then lose the rear seat audio controls as well as the 6 cd changer I have.....

I would do the amp bypass first.

It's true they never advertise the specs of the speakers, but from what I read they are 4 ohms

Need4Speed said:
My replacement speakers that sound like junk are 4 ohms.

I'm not trying to crap on your gear here, seems like you are already dissatisfied with them anyway, but the impedance of those speakers are not what make them sound like junk. It's simply that they are pretty much junk. There are many better options available in the $50-$60 price point than those.

Calicak89 said:
I'm not trying to crap on your gear here, seems like you are already dissatisfied with them anyway, but the impedance of those speakers are not what make them sound like junk. It's simply that they are pretty much junk. There are many better options available in the $50-$60 price point than those.
Now see, being clueless like I am, I'd have assumed Pioneer would have been a fairly 'safe' choice. 
Got any recommendations in the sub $100 range that will NOT be underpowered by the stock head unit? 
Thanks.

GeauxLSU said:
I was very happy with the original sound but if it's an easy bypass I suppose I'd tackle it.  What after market speakers did you get when you were using the original head unit?  

Yes it is pretty easy to bypass.
In fact based on the many experiences and how popular it was across the board on all GM vehicles that had the amp, Metra made a amp bypass harness at one point in time.

As for your second question, I had 6.5" Alpine Type-S speakers at the time however as my taste in sound quality grew, I updated them to Focal 165 VR3s component speakers in all 4 doors.
Now that's clean sound

GeauxLSU said:
Now see, being clueless like I am, I'd have assumed Pioneer would have been a fairly 'safe' choice. 
Got any recommendations in the sub $100 range that will NOT be underpowered by the stock head unit? 
Thanks.

I don't have much experience with mids and highs w/ an RMS that low. The only two that I can think of that I have heard personally are the Rockford Fosgate Prime R165.    2-40 RMS, they're about $95/pair I put a pair of these in a Silverado in the fall, running off a 25 watt RMS headunit and the sounded pretty good. 
The other is the Kicker CS65.  5-100RMS you can get them around $60/pair.  I just put two pair of these in an 07 Tahoe a few weeks ago on the stock head unit and they perform surprisingly well with such a low power input.
Another to consider would be the Alpine SPR60. 10-100RMS.  They can be found around $110/pair. I've never heard these down in the 15-18RMS range, but they are a popular unit for guys running them on 4channel smaller amps (35-50 RMS/channel) and they perform great for the price.  These  are the updated model of the SP65, which I used personally for a few years

Does anyone know the stock GM part numbers for the speakers?  It is not the Bose unit.  I 'think' the left vs right and front vs back are all different for 4 different part numbers?  ???
2002 Z66.  Thx.

(Yes, it's 2 1/2 years later and I still haven't replaced them.  :-[  Hey, it's a weekend/hunting vehicle.  I've survived.  :cool:  )

Go to Crutch Field for replacement speakers, any stock speaker is going to be at least 10 years old.

www.crutchfield.com

Back