• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Let's talk differentials

Lvrboy

I am kinda curious what is the best way to go in regards to more strength in the back end. I do some light offroading and am not afraid to bust my tires loose on occasion. When my stock set up bites the dust I want to know what is the best way to go. I am running 3.73's with stock tires, and am pushing 470hp and 480 lbs of torque.
Cheers

Eaton Detroit Truetrac

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm#tabs-2

This Truetrac setup... how easy of an install is it? and I would assume that it would handle pretty good in mud and snow..
Cheers

The truetrac is really good. I have had experience with it in mud and snow.  It never let me down.  I was at the landfill with a trailer and one of the operators asked me to go up this hill, he warned me that i will need help to go all the way up since it had been raining that day. So i went where he told me, stopped, dumped my load and continued up the hill.  It was a pretty steep grade.  He stopped me and asked what i had in the truck.  A stock 5.3 with a Detroit truetrac in the rear.  He told me he is getting one for his truck.  I stand by the DTT.

You will want to let a shop set it up. It's hard to get spacing and back lash setup.

Lvrboy said:
This Truetrac setup... how easy of an install is it? and I would assume that it would handle pretty good in mud and snow..
Cheers

I don't think it's any different from any other diff but this is something that is often better left to someone who's successfully done it before.

Thanks for the info guys. Those screw type gears sure look strong. Is there fully locking diffs available to bolt in these trucks?

cheers

Lockers have a tendency to blow up when abused.

I'm not sure what Eaton has for Chevy available, but a few years ago I had E-Lockers installed in my Bronco, I did have a local shop do it, they worked great for the two times I took it out before selling it ?

I have thought about getting an e locker whenever I get my SAS done on the front and upgrade the rear axle. just not sure if I want to do the electric lockers or do air lockers

Lvrboy has a LS3 with 480 horsepower plus he has a g80 locker now. LOL 

09chevyavy you could get away with a E locker

I wonder what the torque and hp ratings they go to. By the time I do my SAS the diesel swap will be right after that. And the dmax I swap in will NOT be at stock power levels. Much, MUCH higher.

Reviving an ancient thread as opposed to making a new one.

Looks like I will be tackling rebuilding my rear end. Since I plan to be building an "off road monster". I am looking to put parts in that will hold up to abuse. Does anyone know the actual part number for the DTT for an '03 1500?

My rear end just started howling so I planned to change all 6 bearings and 3 seals. Also will likely look at getting an aluminum cover with the bearing bracing and such on it. Not sure what cover will fit either.

Just need help finding the parts. I now do much more complex stuff at work so I am not worried about getting it setup right.

If your looking for strength, ditch the stock diff and bolt in a 14 bolt from a H2, they are coil spring.. I believe it's pretty much a straight swap... Some have done this here, do a search.. They are cheap at the junk yard and on ebay, pick one up, clean and paint it, upgrade the locker and swap it in..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=h2+rear+axle&ul_noapp=true

Ahhh Found the thread...

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=146977.0

I wonder how easy it will be to swap out the front end to the 8 lug configuration. I could swap out the axles on the rear for 6 lug axles but those seem to be quite expensive.

Thanks for the information Randy. Looks like I will be pricing out an H2 rear end...
Rodney

Back