• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WOULD THEY BRING IT BACK IF ???????????

GaryCouch

I have been a loyal Avalanche owner ever since they first came out. I have lost count how many I have owned.  I have 70,000 on my 2013 LTZ and I have new car/truck fever as bad as it has ever been.  I test drove the new Escalade and just can't get excited.  I seriously considered a low mileage 2013 EXT just to have something "newer" with less miles and that felt luke warm as well.  I am a new member so maybe this idea has already been floated, but I will throw it out anyway.

Based on my research, in 2013 there were only 16,986 Avalanche's and 22,500 EXT sold, totaling 39,486. In 2014 Tahoe/Yukon sold 139,000 units and the Suburbans/YukonXL sold 84,000 units. So would GM consider bringing back some form of the Avalanche if units were above 50,000, 60,000, 70,000 units ?  What I have heard from dealers is Avalanche buyers are the most loyal to GM, but that there just isn't enough demand and that the Avalanche requires it's own factory.  I believe it's GM's fault for not enough demand due to their pitiful marketing efforts.

What I am interested in knowing from the club's members is if the back cab wall did not fold down creating a longer bed, would that make a difference to buyers.  Would you still be buyers?  If it did not, could they build this in the Suburban factory requiring less units sold. And would a Yukon and Cadillac version be more successful ?

I believe it's all about the numbers whether that is an exclusive Avalanche factory or a retrofit to accommodate the Suburban factory.  Would it be possible to sign purchase orders totaling 50,000 units if they brought it back.  I would be the first to sign mine.  We then would deliver those purchase orders as we converge on Detroit in as many Avalanche's as possible.

One more thought.  In reading "what would you buy next", it appears a lot of us would abandon General Motors entirely.  For me it would be a Dodge Ram or Toyota Tundra.  Market share matters the most to GM so making them aware of the mutiny should be helpful in making them reconsider.

I hope this isn't just wishful thinking.  Merry Christmas. 

Welcome to the site and Merry Christmas GaryCouch!

Some of what you say has merit and I guess only GM could truly answer many of your questions.
I consider myself fairly analytical and have owned Suburbans for 16 years before getting my first AV in 2004 and have owned one since then. I also read most threads on this website on a daily basis so I see the good and bad.
The decline in AV sales could be due to many factors beyond GM control such as government regulations to improve fleet gas mileage and pollution standards. Then sales declined when gas prices went up and the economy crashed and people couldn't afford $50,000 plus for a vehicle. There was also some society bashing of "gas hog" vehicles. It always amazed me all the threads on this website about complaints of gas mileage, don't people realize when they buy a 6,000 lb. vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick that it is not an economy vehicle? Some say the economy and gas prices forced many who drove large vehicles just for the status symbol decided to downsize and drive what they could afford or needed on a practical and not emotional or ego driven decision.

As far as marketing GM may be partially to blame but I have said on this website for years that the AV is hard to market since most magazines and TV shows want to have comparison articles such as "the best pickup" or "the best SUV" and since the AV is really a modified Suburban it doesn't fit in either category. Generally when looking at a pickup they go with the Silverado since there are more bed lengths, cab configurations, motor choices and weight classes such as 1500,2500,3500 etc. So it can exceed the AV in towing and hauling and at some trim levels it is cheaper.
Your idea of an AV without a midgate wouldn't go I would guess since in effect you would then have a Silverado. In addition to the versatility of the midgate I appreciate the ride quality of the AV. I'm not sure the AV would need it's own plant since it's based on the Suburban, I would guess if they could make the Suburban they could assemble an AV in the same plant if production allowed.
Some rumors have been around that GM may develop a Colorado based smaller AV but for people who are large or have large families that won't help. Not sure either that there is a large exodus from GM to companies like Dodge or Toyota I'm sure they make a good product but they have had recalls and problems themselves, I'm sure if you read owner websites for those vehicles you would find people complaining too.
Good luck with your decision.

Without a midgate, I don't see the point in having the Av.

In talking with others about the Av, the more plastic on it, the less people like it.

AirJunky said:
Without a midgate, I don't see the point in having the Av.

In talking with others about the Av, the more plastic on it, the less people like it.

I agree, that is until they take one for a ride.

If it weren't for the midgate and Swiss Army Knife features that make an AV an Av, I wouldn't have have got one in the first place.  I honestly don't know what I would have gotten.  It would have either been a Suburban or a crew cab pickup.  As to the latter, I would have considered Chevy, Toyota and Nissan pickups.

So back to your original question, I probably wouldn't consider an AV without a midgate or other stripped out features.  It would likely still have a premium price tag without the features to justify it.

GaryCouch said:
Based on my research, in 2013 there were only 16,986 Avalanche's and 22,500 EXT sold, totaling 39,486.

The EXT's best sales year was 13,494 when it debuted in 2002 and it's been downhill since. The Avalanche sold around 90,000 units each of the first three years. My info may not be exact but there's no way the EXT outsold the Avalanche any model year.

2013 EXT US sales 1972 CAN sales 219
2013 Avalanche US sales 16,526 CAN sales 2546

I think Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade production is consolidated at Arlington, TX assembly. (one plant instead of three) and the Silverado/Sierra pickup truck production was consolidated to Fort Wayne, IN and Flint, MI assembly. GM is increasing capacity by adding new paint and body shops to the two truck plants, probably the SUV plant too. I don't think we'll see a new Avalanche but you never know, with the new more versatile transfer presses and body shops I expect we'll see more AV-type features incorporated into Pickups and SUVs. 
Without a midgate the AV is a short box pickup and they don't sell really well.

FRom the BLACK DIAMOND AVALANCHE BOOK for 2013:
"AVALANCHE ANNUAL SALES"
2001 = 52,955
2002 = 89,372
2003 = 93,482
2004 = 80,566
2005 = 63,186
2006 = 57,071
2007 = 51,259
2008 = 35,008
2009 = 16,432
2010 = 22,723
2011 = 20,090
2012 = 26,010*
2013 = 14,226*

* = ESTIMATES

I found this at Wikipedia it's based on Sales per calendar year for the EXT

Attachments

• ext1.GIF
    ext1.GIF
    86.9 KB · Views: 200
Per Calendar year 2015 sales EXT 2 Avalanche 0

Actual sales numbers vary by source. You have to wonder who the dealer/s were that were holding onto the last two EXTs over 18 months after production ended and what it took $$$ to pry them out of their fingers.

AirJunky said:
So what's the difference in an EXT and an ESV?

An EXT is an Avalanche clone and an ESV is a Suburban clone.

Basically they are all variations of the Chevy Silverado pickup truck.

Flint4x4 said:

Actual sales numbers vary by source. You have to wonder who the dealer/s were that were holding onto the last two EXTs over 18 months after production ended and what it took $$$ to pry them out of their fingers.

It's actually because they could not sell them in 2014, nobody wanted them.

Flint4x4 said:

It came from GM stock owners at quaterly reports.

MS03 2500 said:
It's actually because they could not sell them in 2014, nobody wanted them.

I don't care why, I find it amusing EXT outsold Avalanche for the first time this year 2-0.

That could change in the next four days  :laugh:

Flint4x4 said:
I don't care why, I find it amusing EXT outsold Avalanche for the first time this year 2-0.

That could change in the next four days  :laugh:

Yeah, but I have a 08 EXT All wheel drive I love it. It's get the the same mileage as my 2500 LOL

Would they bring it back? they canceled Star Trek in 1969 and brought it back in 1987.

Or to quote another aptly named science fiction TV show, "We have the technology, we can rebuild him". Will they? that's the 6+ Million Dollar question. I think it mainly comes down to cost, demand and production capacity at the GM Arlington, TX assembly plant since it would be easiest to build along side the Suburban if there's hole in full size SUV demand. There's no lack of demand for pickup trucks so no hole in the production schedule.

Never say never, I don't know what the new body shops will be capable of. I worked at Metal Fab for a few years, it took a couple hours to change dies from one part to another on a press but on our new transfer presses it took 6 minutes. GM almost canceled the Suburban/Tahoe so adding an Avalanche is a stretch but it is possible.

But would Chevy be able to sell them. ???

The burb is around because it's the longest continuously made model in the world, that's something Chevy should be proud of.

MS03 2500 said:
But would Chevy be able to sell them. ???

The burb is around because it's the longest continuously made model in the world, that's something Chevy should be proud of.

I know if the Suburban hadn't survived the Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade would have been axed right along with it. It's not just GM, it's simply more cost efficient to run factories 24/7 five days a week. Two plants put out what three could on the traditional two shift schedule.

I believe they could sell a new Avalanche easy but there is no incentive to do so as long as the current models are selling and capacity is nearly maxed out. I don't believe it's likely to happen soon or ever.

Saw this story a few days ago..... scroll down just a bit on the page and maybe see some Avalanche touches?.... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj3ofH75vzJAhVGwmMKHb3XCWUQFghmMAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caranddriver.com%2Fchevrolet%2Fcolorado&usg=AFQjCNFmFHl69VEfnvYytyKQBw0p1MWTzA

utahpablo said:
Saw this story a few days ago..... scroll down just a bit on the page and maybe see some Avalanche touches?.... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj3ofH75vzJAhVGwmMKHb3XCWUQFghmMAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caranddriver.com%2Fchevrolet%2Fcolorado&usg=AFQjCNFmFHl69VEfnvYytyKQBw0p1MWTzA

Not too impressed myself.....Colorado too small for my family and the off-road light bar in the bed makes me think of the ones in pickups in the 1970's.......makes me think it should come with an 8 track player and a C.B. radio....... >:D

As mentioned previously, cost of the vehicle would be at least $50K.  Would it sell?  Sure for those who had them previously.  A new breed of AVY owners may spawn after a few years.  Until then, I will keep babying my 08.

Had there been an option of a '15 or '16 Avalanche when we bought our Chrysler 300 we would have most likely wound up with one instead of the 300.

For Me I'm old school. Growing up my Dad had FJ Cruisers and Land Cruisers with a separate shift stick for 4X4 and those manual locking hubs.
My first and second SUVs I ever owned were an Isuzu Trooper and a Toyota 4Runner respectively. Both had seperate manual shift sticks for normal operation and 4WD settings. I would have bought another 4Runner in 2000 but my last 4Runner and the newer generation that was around at the time was really underpowered. They still had their tried and true 22RE and 3VZE engine. The 22RE was the same 4 banger featured in the truck Jeremy Clarkson tried unsuccessfully to kill on Top Gear but it wouldn't die. Sadly even though it was really reliable, 114 HP and 140 ft-lb of torque was a joke. I remember This steep hil I had to climb every day to go to work that I had to make a running start and accelerate to 80+ MPH just to be able to get to the top at 35 MPH. Passing anyone on the highway was a joke.

Anyway after trading in my 02 Infiniti FX 35 and when I could finally afford another vehicle, I looked real hard at both the EXT and the Avalanche. The Avalanche won out simply because it had selectable 4WD. I've never really been a big fan of full-size trucks with AWD. I can accept it in a car or even those mid-size SUVs but not a truck.
Even now, I'm considering a Black Diamond Avalanche or a 13 EXT. While I love the looks of the EXT, I just can't stand the AWD drivetrain.
Then the lure of having the first year and the last model year of Avalanche is also very tempting as well.

Oh well .... We shall see.

I went to the auto show today and picked up a Chevy brochure.

Hey Chevy! It looks like you have lots of room in the lineup! I have a suggestion to help fill it! LOL

Attachments

• 2016chev21.jpg
    2016chev21.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 105
Back