• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Clutch pack ...in Diff what is it?

T1Avalanche

Hey guys ..

I am going over my notes from the dealership and he mentioned a term I can't find an answer to.  He said, the clutch pack in the rear end is metal to metal.  I have no idea what or where that is.

can someone share some knowledge?

How is this ???

(1) Differential Pinion Gear Shaft
(2) Differential Case
(3) Differential Pinion Gear Shaft Lock Bolt
(4) Locking Differential Lockout Bushings
(5) Locking Differential Clutch Disc Thrust Washer
(6) Locking Differential Clutch Disc Guide
(7) Locking Differential Clutch Disc Set
(:cool: Differential Pinion Gear Thrust Washer
(9) Differential Pinion Gear
(10) Locking Differential Side Gear
(11) Locking Differential Thrust Block
(12) Differential Pinion Gear
(13) Differential Pinion Gear Thrust Washer
(14) Locking Differential Side Gear, Cam-Faced
(15) Locking Differential Cam
(16) Locking Differential Governor
(17) Wave Washer
(1:cool: Locking Differential Clutch Disc Set
(19) Locking Differential Clutch Disc Guide
(20) Locking Differential Snap Ring Retainer
(21) Locking Differential Clutch Disc Thrust Washer

Attachments

• g80.png
    g80.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 39
IN the rear end they use clutches to LOCK up the rear so both tires will drive and allow the inside one to slip as you take turns.

thank you both ...super helpful...

and I am guessing that those cannot be replaced by themselves ... the entire unit needs to be replaced?? The service rep kept saying that tech said they are metal on metal...
I thought to myself .. well isnt the entire rear made of metal??

No metal to metal should be happening, the clutches should have some abrasive material on them.

got it. . so it feels like I should look into a new dif at this point...truck has 230K on it so I would imagine the material has a useful life and we are past that point.....

Depends on the budget have them fix or upgrade to a Eaton Detroit Truetrac locker.

I spoke to Eaton reps a few years back at a Hot Rod Power Tour stop - they make the stock G80 rear ends.  They were surprised I had gotten over 200K miles out of mine.  Replaced it with the Truetrac and am very happy with it.  They said it should last much better than the G80.

Back