• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WV WWW XIV: Carnifex Ferry State Park/Summersville Lake March 18th-20th, 2016

4x4dreamer

PM 2023
SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
SM 2008
After a LONG search, and many dead ends, I have finally selected a location for the 14th annual
West Virginia Wild and Wonderful Weekend.
Albeit, a bit late, but better than never! I think that this year's event has GREAT potential!​

When?

March 18th-20th, 2016

Where?

The Good Evening Ranch
539 Exotic Drive, Canvas, WV 26662

GoodEveningRanchAerialsPresidio-3675_R_large.jpg

While they do not have a working website at the moment, information and photos can be seen here! These are a bit dated, taken shortly before the Ranch was taken over by the new owners! All of the cabins and the lodge rooms have been renovated since they were taken! I HIGHLY suggest you look over these photos to see the beauty that the ranch has to offer!  http://www.riverbendauction.com/auction/206958/the-good-evening-ranch-near-summersville/

The Good Evening Ranch, a private gated property, is family owned and operated. Located on 400+ acres of sprawling West Virginia countryside, featuring breathtaking panoramic views, rustic cabins and a variety of attractions, The Good Evening Ranch is the ideal spot for a night away from home, a weekend getaway or an extended vacation.

Located just five miles outside of Summersville, WV off US Route 19.  Amenities include many rental cabins and the Watusi Lodge, swimming pool, fishing ponds, hiking/biking trails, playground, scheduled events for concerts, off road 4?4 trails, steel outdoor arena with bleachers, indoor arena, stalls for over 200 horses.  A horseman?s paradise.

The Ranch is within reasonable distance of many beautiful locations that Central WV has to offer!

6 Miles: Summersville Lake Retreat and Recreation Area
11 Miles: Carnifex Ferry Battle Field State Park
29 Miles: New River Gorge Recreation Area
29 Miles: Hawks Nest State Park
35 Miles: Babcock State Park
43 Miles: Cranberry Glades Botanical Area/Monongahela National Forest

This year is going to be a tad different as we will not be holding the entire get together within one of West Virginia's state parks. This is due to the many events and the limited availability of accommodations across the state for this particular weekend.

If you attended the Summersville Camping GTG in 2009, then you know there is great beauty in this area and many amenities and things to do! This is also a fairly central location for those that would like to attend from neighboring states.

Accommodations:

We have unique opportunity this year for lodging at the Ranch. They have available, the entire 9 Bedroom Watusi Lodge available for rent. The lodge is newly renovated in 2015 with beautiful finishes, a full kitchen, large gathering room, and dining room. As well as a LARGE back deck! Each bedroom has a queen bed, its own private bathroom, and a door to the outdoor balcony.

The Watusi Lodge
72_R_-_Watusi_Lodge_large.jpg

Lodge Bedroom: All identical 1 Queen Bed; Each with own bathroom  
199_R_-_Watusi_Lodge_large.jpg

Kitchen and Dining/Living Rooms
5D8CEEE5-E9F2-4B10-BE6F-FBC7DF06548E.jpg

5AB934FA-CAE1-4EA5-994A-46A7E14DA975.jpg

The price for the lodge is as follows:

$112.50/night/bedroom taxes and fees included;
$225.00 for both nights with only 8 of the rooms spoken for

In order for us to obtain the lodge for this year's get together, we will need commitment to fill each bedroom before we can reserve it as a whole. The rooms will be available on a first come, first serve basis! So please let me know if you would be interested in reserving a room in the lodge. Remember, only OUR group will be in the lodge for the weekend! I will get an exact total for the rooms as soon as I can!

The lodge is more than enough space to serve as the host place for the GTG with common space for recreation as well as personal space within the private bedrooms. It is also more than enough space to cook and hold the traditional Potluck Dinner Saturday Evening.

Unfortunately, the lodge is not pet-friendly, please see the section below for Pet-Friendly accommodations!

Cabins

Due to the winter months and long term cabin rentals, the Ranch has available 2 extra cabins.

Each cabin sleeps 8 people with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs, and an open loft and bathroom upstairs.

Cabin 1:
2 Queen Bedrooms and a Bath downstairs
1 Queen Bed and 2 twin beds on opposite sides of the loft separated by a bathroom

Cabin 2:
2 bedrooms with a double bed in each and a Bath downstairs
Single large open loft with 2 double beds and a bathroom

The price of the cabins are $300.00/night

No smoking, and unfortunately, pets are not permitted to stay in the cabins

Pet-Friendly, and other Accommodations:

The Sleep Inn of Summersville

A friend of mine works for the company which owns the hotel, said that he would be happy to host any of our guests that wanted to travel with pets, and/or didn't plan to stay on site. He has asked me to get a count of those that may be interested in staying with them for the weekend. Once we get a number of those that may be interested, he guaranteed me a "very good rate" for the group.

Schedule of Events

Friday:
Arrive in Canvas and gather at the Ranch.
7PM: Group Dinner in Summersville at La Caretta Mexican Restaurant. (They have great food, Margaritas by the pitcher, and girly drinks)  >:D

Saturday

9:00AM Breakfast at the lodge, made by us. MENU TBD

Between 10:00AM-10:30AM Depart Lodge for Group Cruise.

11:00AM-3:00PM Group Cruise and outing. ( FRS Radio's on Channel 8 ) Stops to include: Babcock State Park, New River Gorge Bridge (if time allows), Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park, Summersville Dam & Recreation Area. Lunch will be at Fat Eddies at the Dam, while we are on the Cruise! . If anyone has any suggestions or requests, please feel free to let me know!

Optional Trip: 02Z71 has suggested getting a group of folks together to go Ziplining at Adventures on the Gorge. They are located near the New River Gorge Bridge. The trips are typically "half-day" trips. If you are interested, let Brian know and he can plan accordingly based on interest!  (y)
https://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/adventures/zip-line-aerial-adventures

3:00PM Return to the Good Evening Ranch for "Talkin Trucks" (Group Modding, etc.) This is also some time to explore the rest of the Ranch or more of the local sites!

For those interested, you may want to visit the local Kirkwood Winery located about 11 miles from the Ranch. https://kirkwood-wine.com/country-store/

5:30PM Group Potluck Dinner at the Watusi Lodge. Watch for a food thread to follow very soon. Start thinking about what you might want to bring!

After dinner, I anticipate a few rousing games of "Heads Up", and other various shenanigans  >:D

Sunday

Group Breakfast in Summersville before heading home.-Shoney's of Summersville

Final Goodbyes  :cry:

This is all I have at this moment. Please stay tuned for further details as well as separate threads for discussion of various events! Again, I apologize for the delay, but I hope that I can make up for it!

Attending:

1. 4x4dreamer, MOM, & Ash (2 Lodge Rooms)
2. GoldBowTie & Toots (Lodge Room)
3. BnGBleeder +1 (Lodge Room)
4. OldVMer +1 (Lodge Room)
5. Mrs. WVAV & WVAvalanche (Lodge Room)
6. 02Z71 +1 (Lodge Room)
7. NascarDave & His K9 sidekick (Sleep Inn)  :cry:
8. N1NCZ +1 (Lodge Room)
9. Special Surprise Guest(s)  >:D

Tentative:

1.BigBlockBirch & MzBBB  :(
Maybe

1. ms38w
2. RCHeliguy & Sanofhee  :cry:
3. Hugz :(

Looks like a great place.   Let me get with MzBBB and see if we have anything going on.  

Thanks for making this happen.  

BBB

MzBBB question: Are pets allowed?

GoldBowTie said:
Me and Toots are in for a room in the Watusi.  :wave:

I've got you down  (y)

I know we typically have more than one cabin, in case we get rowdy, but I think that the large lodge is more then enough to contain our shenanigans  >:D

BigBlockBirch said:
Looks like a great place.  Let me get with MzBBB and see if we have anything going on. 

Thanks for making this happen. 

BBB

MzBBB question: Are pets allowed?
Such a great tradition, it has to happen!  (y)

They have been out clearing snow all day, and I got the machine. I will let you know about pets whenever they get back to me!

Looks like an awesome place, who needs a state park?? We will be attending,and the "rowdy" cabin always works for us !!lol Possibility we may need a second room for the kids if they decide to come... pets would be a plus but not a deal breaker...

How about your relatives Gold Bow Tie?? They seemed to fit in pretty well last year...

Thanks for all your effort.  Put us down for a room.

--OldVMer

I'll admit, I should have started on this earlier. At this point, I think I'll start planning next years GTG before we even have this one  :laugh:

I have all of you down. I will get more details including a list of the other cabins as soon as I can get the owners to email it to me.

They've been covered up with this snow, and they've been working around the clock taking care of the grounds.

I will keep everything updated!

Let me think, Irvine KY to ???

Put us down for a room as tentative.  We will need to leave early on Sunday to get back.  The dog thing may be the only issue on our side...

BigBlockBirch said:
Put us down for a room as tentative.  We will need to leave early on Sunday to get back.  The dog thing may be the only issue on our side...

You are on the list!  (y) I will call them again after class this afternoon!

02 Z71 said:
Put me down for a room in the big cabin. Joyce is checking her schedule but if she cannot come, I will be coming solo.

I have had some friends that have done a zip line that is close to here that I would like to include as a possiblility for an activity on Saturday, it is only about a 30 min drive from this place. Here is their website:

https://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/adventures/zip-line-aerial-adventures

Got you down!  (y) I am sure you could get a group together for ZipLining on Saturday! Adventures on the Gorge has a lot to offer!

4x4dreamer said:
I'll admit, I should have started on this earlier. At this point, I think I'll start planning next years GTG before we even have this one 
I know you have been working hard at finding a place for a while, Ian. Plus I believe you were a little busy planning something far more important then a GTG. (y) Congratulations again on your and Ashleys engagement.  :love:

That was so smart of you to have a photographer there to capture the moment.  You will have those memories forever.  Nice job on the ring, too.

This looks like a great spot.  We are both excited about this GTG.

Mrs. WVAV said:
I know you have been working hard at finding a place for a while, Ian. Plus I believe you were a little busy planning something far more important then a GTG. (y) Congratulations again on your and Ashleys engagement.  :love:

Thanks Melissa! It will give us something to celebrate come time for the GTG  >:D

Toots said:
That was so smart of you to have a photographer there to capture the moment.  You will have those memories forever.  Nice job on the ring, too.

This looks like a great spot.  We are both excited about this GTG.

I am glad you saw the photos! I wanted to make it special, and for us to have something to remember it by! The ring is one of many that she had expressed interest in beforehand, so I had some help  >:D

I think this will work out to be a great GTG! There is a lot to do in the area, as well as a lot of amenities close by! 

I am still waiting on a call back from the Owners, an answer about the pet policy, and a list of cabins, rates, and details...

I am also going to go ahead and put our deposit down for the Lodge.. If they ever call me back  :E:

If not, someone is going to be losing out on a lot of business, and we will be moving to another lodging location...

I updated the first post: as for pet-friendly accommodations, The Good Evening Ranch has none. I am working with a local hotel in Summersville, and will update the progress on that as soon as the owner gets back to me. It is a very nice, Sleep Inn that is only 8 miles from the Ranch, and is located right off the main thoroughfare!  \

As of now we have one lodge room still available

Maybe list me.  (y)

4x4dreamer said:
I will put you down. and by the way, that is #1.  >:D
Noted that this is still post#1 >:D >:D

4x4dreamer said:
LynZee would be very excited to see you again.  :cool:
Ditto  :laugh:
And congrats and the engagement!!!!

Noted that this is still post#1 >:D >:D

Can I put in my bid to go see the Babcock State Park.  It's been on my list for awhile.  Seen a lot of calendars with pictures taken from Babcock.    We've been to the other two (Hawks Nest and New River bridge) a few times. 

Toots said:
Can I put in my bid to go see the Babcock State Park.  It's been on my list for awhile.  Seen a lot of calendars with pictures taken from Babcock.    We've been to the other two (Hawks Nest and New River bridge) a few times.  

I was thinking about what we were going to do for the Cruise, and Babcock is on the list! I'm trying to figure out how to best include Carnifex Ferry, the Summersville Lake Recreation area and Light House, and Babcock! I think it'll work out just fine pending the weather and such, of course. I think "Fat Eddies at the Dam" the local Ice Cream shoppe will be open for the season by then! So hopefully we can visit them as well!

Also, I am getting some hits on Facebook as well, so there may be Attendance changes without posts on here  >:D

4x4dreamer said:
Now that would be a nice addition to the list  (y) >:D

I will put you down. and by the way, that is #1.  >:D
Just found out this morning that the 19th i am running a 5k and Gretch is running a 5&10k to support one of the local churches. Good it that sense bad in the sense I can't make it up to the gtg.
Hopefully next time as the last I went to a WV WWE it was a blast!!!

Hugz said:
Just found out this morning that the 19th i am running a 5k and Gretch is running a 5&10k to support one of the local churches. Good it that sense bad in the sense I can't make it up to the gtg.
Hopefully next time as the last I went to a WV WWE it was a blast!!!

Bummer  :(

I hope you can make it next time, and I also hope to see you at Nationals  >:D (y)

4x4dreamer said:
Bummer  :(

I hope you can make it next time, and I also hope to see you at Nationals  >:D (y)
Maybe so or you all down in GA  :cool:

Back