• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 2500 Trailer Hitch - HELP with aftermarket solution

2002Avy2500

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2002 2500 Avalanche to tow a rather large travel trailer with tongue weight that will be approaching 1,200. Now am reading some horror stories about the factory hitch potentially bending the frame and not being up to the task.

I'm very concerned and do not want this to happen and ruin my camping season the first trip out!!

The challenge at the moment is that I am having some difficulty locating an aftermarket hitch that is good for over 1,000/10,000 capacity.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!!

Reese 45013 it spans a lot more of the frame, you don't want a hitch that hangs off the back of the frame with that much weight. Consider doing a few more mods if you are going to max out the weight of the truck

2012-08-07_19-09-36_56.jpg

Thank you! Can you recommend some other mods? This was the hitch I was looking at - however the issue is that Reese says it's not compatible with my truck (it is for the Suburban and Yukon XL). Not sure why..

It does fit, I have one on my AV. You may have some minor rubbing with the plastic part of the bumper I just trimmed mine.

Tell us a bit more about the trailer how long is it.

Things like shocks tires even swaybars depending on the trailer you have.

It is a 31' Jayco Eagle 314BHDS travel trailer. ~8,000 lbs dry, ~1,000 tongue weight dry. It will be properly set up with a reese dual cam WDH setup by the local Jayco dealer, along with a Prodigy P3 brake controller.

The maximum weight of the trailer will be 10,000 lbs and I expect to be more in the range of 9,000 as we will not be traveling with any water or waste in the tanks. The Avy already has aftermarket bilsteins all the way around, I'm thinking some airbags may be required if I'm sagging too much.

Nice trailer it looks pretty balanced, so airbags should help. When you get above 30 feet long I recommend putting solid sway bars on it. The 2500 did not come with a rear sway bar, make sure you have E load range tires.

One thing about the Reese hitch is it has a 2 1/2 inch receiver not a common 2 inch, you need to know that before ordering the WHD

Look into Helwig sway bars for the AV, they make great Swaybars that help with towing heavy loads

I tow 10,000 LBS with only standard 1200 lbs bars and a single friction anti sway bar and have zero sway. Just did 2633 miles going to Disney and back with no issues  :love:

cadboy: I think we are connected on the Jayco forum also. Thank you for your response we are picking up our TT next Friday!

I got the Draw-Tite class V, looks very similar to the Reese pictured above but has the 2" receiver opening. Ordered mine for the Suburban, and it fit like a glove. Great buy and I'd highly recommend it. Good luck!

The draw tite is good also

2002Avy2500 said:
cadboy: I think we are connected on the Jayco forum also. Thank you for your response we are picking up our TT next Friday!

Great. Good luck with it  (y)

Firestone airbags and you will be amazed at how smooth.

Attachments

• cat and avalanche.jpg
    cat and avalanche.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 41
Back