• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Auxiliary connection to original radio

BlueWarthog

Hi Guys,  :wave:
I need your knowledge ! 
On my 2003 Avy I've got the original radio.
20160613_170626.jpg

I am going to install a raspberry pi as a multimedia station and I would like to connect the jack outpout to my radio.
I have took a look behind but I don't see any auxiliary input.

Do you if my project is possible ?  ???
In case would you tell me how please ?

Thank you, have a nice day !

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AAI-GM9-Auxiliary-Input-9-PIN/dp/B001EAWOE0

This is what I used on my 2002 before I did the double din mod and put a touchscreen with dvd/bluetooth and navigation. It worked surprisingly well but I wanted something a little more modern looking after a while so I upgraded. From the research I did, there is no real good way to add an aux into the factory radio by splicing into internally which is why they started manufacturing this adapter.

Dave

Use a PAC AAI-GM12 the GM9 will not work on the 03 up

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=97&CategoryID=24

Get one with amazon they are cheaper there.

First of all, are you SURE you have an '03?

Doesn't look like my radio Too short.. Looks more like an '02 with the HVAC controls...

You want to make sure you have the right year before you order...

'02 dash cluster has the information display on the left side. 2003-2006 have the information display under the speedo.

Rodney

I did not even notice that, it is a 02

Thank you for answering !

You're right.
First immatriculation is in beginning of 2003 but in France. With importation and homologation delay it's a 2002.
Here the RPO codes, but I don't know read its :

20160613_142627.jpg

Well, it's probably not the right place but I would like to share our friendly thoughts to US.
Your people has been attacked one more time and we can only be solidary in your sadness. God bless America.

I'm not sure if the 02 has an XM receiver in it or not, but the 04 did.  I hacked the XM receiver inputs into the stereo head unit to provide a 3.5mm input jack.  It worked well and cost me all of about $5.

Hi all,

I've bought a GM9 and tried to connect it : it doesn't work.
The cd still playing and nothing happens when I switch the GM9...

I will return it to seller...should I try with a GM12 ?

See the serial number of the audio.
Thanks !  :B:

Attachments

• serial_audio.jpg
    serial_audio.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 75
BlueWarthog said:
I've bought a GM9 and tried to connect it : it doesn't work.
The cd still playing and nothing happens when I switch the GM9...
What year do you have?
First post
you say 2003 but your sig says 2002?

ygmn said:
What year do you have?
First post
you say 2003 but your sig says 2002?

You're right, it's (I'm) confused !
Well, in France it's a 2003 (first certificate in february) but I think the model is a 2002, finally I don't really know.

The RPO codes are in the box front of the passenger seat. I've attached picture of audio and one other with audio serial number.
Is it enought to find the year of the Avy ? Is there a place in the truck where I can read the year ?

Thank you very much for your help !  (y)

There should be a Year Indicator in the VIN, Vehicle Identification Number on the left side of the dash and probably on the Left Door Driver's door.

On line, there should be a VIN "Look Up" to validate the year and a few other specifications of you vehicle.

Yeah looking at the headunit model number and your VIN you do indeed have a 02 US model.

Don't get the GM12 because it won't work either. Your problem is you need a external device like a CD player, XM radio.

Attachments

• gm9.GIF
    gm9.GIF
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
Please, what do you mean by "I need an external device" ?

My audio include the cd player. My external device should be my phone with a cable jack/rga on the GM9.
Shoud I add something else ?

Cat Dancer said:
There should be a Year Indicator in the VIN, Vehicle Identification Number on the left side of the dash and probably on the Left Door Driver's door.

On line, there should be a VIN "Look Up" to validate the year and a few other specifications of you vehicle.

I didn't saw your answer, thank you. I check that !

BlueWarthog said:
Please, what do you mean by "I need an external device" ?

My audio include the cd player. My external device should be my phone with a cable jack/rga on the GM9.
Shoud I add something else ?

Like XM Onstar or external CD play. The port will only be activated if something it recognizes is attached, it will not recognize a adapter.

To expand upon what MS03 2500 said.

The port is there but is not active unless you have an external CD player, Over head DVD player or XM Radio. If you do not have one of those devices you can not gain an auxiliary input from your radio without a firmware modification to your radio to turn the port on. And from what I understand most dealers don't have a clue how to turn this on.

Only option is to purchase a radio that was in a vehicle with one of those functions and have the VIN reprogrammed or go to an aftermarket radio with input.

Rodney

Thanks guys, I understand.

I am going to look for a trick, maybe with the OnStar or something else. I found on youtube some videos to connect a jack directly in the audio ; it may be another solution...

Well, I may have bought the AAI-GM9 for nothing... :E:

Thanks again !  (y)

Have you thought about replacing the headunit with something more modern

BlueWarthog said:
Thanks guys, I understand.

I am going to look for a trick, maybe with the OnStar or something else. I found on youtube some videos to connect a jack directly in the audio ; it may be another solution...

Well, I may have bought the AAI-GM9 for nothing... :E:

Thanks again !  (y)
Please re-read my last message carefully. Those videos make use of the port being active. I have done it on my truck. But my truck comes with xm-radio. Not sure if OnStar module qualifies. The instructions with the PAC unit should tell you. (I have the same module sitting here waiting for me to install it on my truck since I don't care much for the "cheap" variant of putting the socket inline.)

Rodney

MS03 2500 said:
Have you thought about replacing the headunit with something more modern
Well, it's an idea you're right but I thank it was easier to had a simple aux on my audio...

redheadedrod said:
Please re-read my last message carefully. Those videos make use of the port being active. I have done it on my truck. But my truck comes with xm-radio. Not sure if OnStar module qualifies.

I have seen this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtcmFqe9X68
I have to see it again to be sure to understand everything (english is not my langage) but it could be a solution.

Well, I'll test the OnStar too to learn how it works with audio...

If you have onstar and it doesn't plug into the port mentioned on the radio then I am not sure how you are going to get anything to work as an aux input. Without enabling the port on your radio (can be done via firmware programming) or getting a different radio I think you are going to find you are out of luck period.

You CAN do an FM modulator which takes your signal and broadcasts it as an FM station of your choice then you can tune your radio to the frequency but this is not the nicest solution either.

Was easier when decks has cassette decks because they made an adapter for that too that worked better than the FM modulator.

redheadedrod said:
If you have onstar and it doesn't plug into the port mentioned on the radio then I am not sure how you are going to get anything to work as an aux input. Without enabling the port on your radio (can be done via firmware programming) or getting a different radio I think you are going to find you are out of luck period.

I have tested with the OnStar : the girl speaks and my FM stops. When I test with the GM9 nothing else happens, no auxiliary ;
I could search and replace the OnStar signal by my audio signal but I'm afraid it should be beyond my skills !  :eek:

redheadedrod said:
You CAN do an FM modulator which takes your signal and broadcasts it as an FM station of your choice then you can tune your radio to the frequency but this is not the nicest solution either.
That's an idea, I haven't think about it. It probably should be the simplest and cheapest way. That's not really that I was expected but I can check this solution.
Actually I would like to connect a Raspberry Pi as a multimedia center. It's possible to emit an audio signal with, I'll check if I should do by this way.
More, this could be the solution that require no physical modification of the radio station.

redheadedrod said:
Was easier when decks has cassette decks because they made an adapter for that too that worked better than the FM modulator.
Sure !

Back