• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

updated system

xoutofmyheadx

so it's been horrible on here over the last 8months. but FINALLY this seems to be fixed? so since i'm back on thought i'd post what i have done to my stereo system.
13717335_1031554366940570_37192154108411031_o.jpg

13767219_1032097760219564_2988097737906311395_o.jpg

13418633_1006859329410074_3670372626561090368_o.jpg

13412197_1006859212743419_4696265786843637640_o.jpg

13411812_1006859306076743_1843922724359336892_o.jpg

You are out of your head,

comment-friday-damn.jpg

Nice install but two issues you need to be aware of...

You need to water proof the speaker box... I will assume your aware of that.  (Regardless of the type of wood you will need something to keep the water out of it.. )

The other issue is that those batteries need to be vented to the outside. When batteries charge they release Hydrogen Gas and a spark at the wrong time without them being vented and you will have an explosion. Each batteries vents need to be vented to the outside. If you can't easily do that you need some sort of forced ventilation to the outside when the batteries are being charged.

I am curious about the size of the speakers and the construction of the box.  Going to assume the ports are correct for what you want. A port reduces the frequency range of the speaker and boosts the volume in the range the port is tuned for. 

As big as that box appears to be I would hope at a minimum you have 3/4" wood and additional internal bracing. Otherwise your box will flex which will change the tuning of the ports and cause strange things to your sound. 

Just playing devils advocate...
Interested in seeing how you are doing the amplifiers.

I am considering doing something similar in my truck but likely with 10's or 12's and much smaller box.

WTF... :eek:  Never seen it done that way before. Make sure those batteries are fastened down, they will become DFO's (Deadly Flying Objects) in an accident. Also be careful with all the power cable routing, would be very bad if one or more came loose and shorted.

Good luck in your quest for a good sound system..

My last box I had coated in herculiner bed liner. when I made this box I decided to hold off on that for a little bit because it would cost me around $120 to do and if I was not happy with this box that was going to be a waste of money. And that's because it's my first ported box I've ever made so I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be. so for now I spray clear coat on it so it's not completely exposed. It is 3/4 and I do have 1.5 inch wood rot in there for bracing.
As for the batteries these are AGM batteries and there is a debate whether they need venting or not I have read with AGM batteries you do not need to make sure they're vented just not sealed up. I've seen one person do this before which is what gave me the idea. If I recall he had 2 batteries not 4.
These are 18in SSA evils. 3250 rms each. Amps  I've been running for over a year now, 2 Crescendo 3500 sitting underneath the seat. Not at all very good looking but with my kids being 18 and 20 years old I haven't used my seat for anything carrying my groceries. I've been running this just over a month now. The center console is extremely tight fit I had to take the seat out to put it in and I can barely move the passenger seat. Because these are 3100 series batteries.

Be aware that ALL Lead Acid batteries release hydrogen gas when charging. Doesn't matter if it is a Gel battery, AGM etc... If used in the interior of your vehicle they MUST be vented.  Anyone that's says otherwise is either naive or other things I won't say...

While I applaud the creativity of the design I have to point out that batteries can (And occasionally DO) explode. Do you REALLY want something with very corrosive components that close to you in the case of an accident or other cause for exploding batteries?

I have had 2 batteries explode on me in my lifetime. One during jump starting and I was no where near it and another that was hooked to a generator that exploded while trying to start the generator. Battery acid landing on you with great force is no fun. And I was lucky that the explosion on the generator was on a dead battery because the parts hit my boot which was covered with a cotton pant leg... Still hurt like hell. I was standing like 3 feet from the generator battery.

I will mention that an exploding battery does so with a pretty significant amount of power... 

Rodney

Can I ask why so many batteries when all it takes is one to start the truck?

Or do you listen to music for hours on end with engine running?

https://youtu.be/eW9R1ZtqYrM

here's what my system does. reason i have the batteries is cause i'm running 2 amps that push 3400watts to each of my 2 subs.plus i have 750watts going to my mids and highs. so roughly 7500watts rms running through the truck. 1 less battery would work but the buss bars only came in 4 battery length and instead of cutting them i figured a little extra storage of power never hurts.
i'm not at all worried about the charging gas. there's thousands of car audio guys out there with many more batteries than i have inside their vehicle and never had 1 issue. you do have a point with exploding batteries if it were to happen. i have been around 1 when it's blown up also and it'll definately make you changes your drawers. even though it does happen, chances of that happening isn't very good. i'd be more worried about getting in a serious accident then anything, so to me you have a point there. and its something to think about.

What alternator are you running. ???

Calicak89 said:
If I remember correctly, from a previous post, it was a Mechman 370 Black

I'm thinking he should go with dual alternators like you did. He is going to need a huge amount of power

Batteries are only good for engine off power...  Alternators are what makes your power...

Beyond that... If you indeed have that much power you will need to be investing in multiple alternators and hearing aides because you will be deaf in short order...

As to those others that have batteries in the interior. I suspect many of those you will find have hidden tubing or open up the interior a lot.

A bad battery can explode at any time but the gas is only created while charging.

Do what you want, I have said my piece and if you want to put yourself and anyone that rides in potential danger that is on YOU not me..

Personally if I needed that many batteries I would consider mounting them in the rear bumper... Much safer for those riding in the interior... Or in the bed on the sides in the rear or something.

Here is my concern

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160901-235958.png
    Screenshot_20160901-235958.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 66
Yes Byron but instead of the 12 my alternator runs at 14.6 so it needs roughly 525 am. If batteries only worked when engine is off then my amps would starve with only 370amps because every time the base would hit I would need an additional 200 amps or else everything was shut down completely. That's if I keep the RPM's up - 1800 if I'm idling that my alternator pushes about 210 amps which then would be about 350 short from being able to power anything with my face it but yet I can run an entire song with no problem.
Each of these four batteries are 110 amp hours. Plus the two batteries under the hood of 55 amp hours each. I do have another alternator bracket that will allow me to run a second alternator and I do have the original stock one sitting in my shed I just haven't decided for sure that I want to put it in really I don't need it but in the future I'm a separate both charging systems.

I guess you remembered me. LOL

If you don't mind a few suggestions. Your sub box made from flooring, I'm  HUGE FAN of XS POWER don't build a cheap azz enclosure.

Yes I know what a D3100 is.

yes i remember you lol, i may not talk alot but i watch alot. you going to the christmas dinner this year?

years ago ppl use to use MDF for enclosures. all the manufactured enclosures use MDf even today. and that's why is because it's cheap at $30 a sheet? but nobody likes useing it cause it's messy as hell, it's heavy and you've gotta predrill it so it doesn't break. box builders for years now have been useing birch plywood instead. at $40-50 a sheet, it costs a bit more but when you're useing 2,3,4,7 sheets the weight saveings is pretty big and it's stronger than MDF. this box i used 2 sheets of birch plywood, plus 1/2 sheet i had left over from when i built my shed. so the baffel is probibly made of that stuff. my original plan was to paint it, but i couldn't decide on a color so i said hell with it i'll worry bout it later and cleared the whole box. i am planing on makeing a new 1 here sometime. this is just a standard ported box i'm going to make a 4th order.
this is the 1st ported box i've ever made. so my expectations weren't too high lol. it's a lil sloppy looking but i was planing to paint it so i wasn't worried about makeing it pretty.  it's 16cu ft ported to 29hz.  it'll play from around 20hz up to 60hz? not sure how high it goes. that video i posted gets down to 24hz.

I did not make the holiday dinner last year, I'm splitting my time between up here and kentucky.

I made a enclosure from high density hdf it's about 50 bucks a sheet then used oak plywood to pretty it up. Just remeber to glue it and screw it.
Were you at dream cruise. ???

With the batteries under the hood and no plans to run the system off battery you are wasting money having the extra batteries in the interior.

You need a battery to work as a smoothing capacitor on any charging system you use but extra battery capacity is ONLY for power off usage and in some circumstances actually add a drain to your alternator. So if you don't need them, no point in having them.

You SHOULD size your wiring for max power at 12 volts... If nothing else it is a safety margin. Even if you only ever run stuff when the engine is running you SHOULD size your wiring for 12 volts.. Otherwise if you have issues with your alternator and don't catch it right away you will have issues...

If you cut it too close you can slowly burn the wiring up which will reduce your load capacity which will be seen as a voltage drop at the amplifiers. (See ANY GM vehicle where you put in larger lighting than came stock.. And check out the wiring after a while.. It is likely black. or anytime a light socket gets corroded.. Same thing... That is the wiring actually burning up..)

Rodney

Back