• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fluid Film rust preventative?

rogerrichard

Wondering has Anybody here had any experience with Fluid Film rust prev spray application?  On the fence on if I should try it out[worth it?] before the snow flies in this wonderful rust belt MY new to me 2012 Ave is reasonably clean from what ive been able to check out underneath, wondering if anybody has any experience with product Neg . Or  Pos. ? Thanks

I actually never heard of it, but I did see some reviews and folks seem to like it. I wonder how long it will last sense it does not dry.

You can try over a Eastwood for more products
www.eastwood.com

Never tried it, but I would. I've seen it advertised on some of the automotive enthusiast sites and it looks like a pretty good product (of course it does, they are trying to sell it!). The biggest complaint I have about GM is that they put that stupid wax coating on the frames of the trucks instead of paint. If you four wheel and/or drive in high weeds in fields it gets stripped off the frame pretty quickly. I hated seeing the ugly surface rust all over the undercarriage of the truck. I cleaned mine up, then used rust converter spray paint. I had a couple of cans of spray bedliner that I was going to use but never got it done as I traded the Av off in March.

There's an oil spray product for the undercarriage that's very popular in Canada.

Thanks
Looks a little messy but think ill give it a try, like to get something into all the nooks and crannys ,supposed to find its way and seal out the elements but looks like prob. have to reapply periodically Loved the 05 av I had  but rust bubbles forming everwhere knew fixes wouldn't last so put $$$ into an 2012 want to make it last as much as possible can get a pretty good sized kit through Amazon should be able to do the whole neighborhood lol

I started using Fluid Film about two years ago, and I'm pretty impressed.  I do find that it does eventually wear/wash off, but it seems to do a stellar job.

Every time I change the oil, I spend my time looking over the entire underbelly of the truck, waiting for the oil to completely drain.  At this point, I apply Fluid Film to every stop of rust or bare metal I can find.  As a result of this, the underside is quite clear.

One point I would stress is that you really want to shake that can up well.  If the weather is cool, I will also stick the whole can in warm water for 15 minutes.  If you don't mix it well or if the Dan is cold, you will find the product too thick - it won't flow well.

I'm at the point where I always use Fluid Film during each oil change for my daughter, son and wife.  I use about 1/2 a can per car/truck.

Michael

I've been using fluid film for about two years as well.  It will wash off in higher contact areas like where the frame is exposed in the wheel wells.  I apply before winter and then most importantly in the spring after the slush is gone.  The waxy undercoating used on these things is terrible and my Ave had rust on the frame when it was new and the undercoating was peeling off.  I bought the 5 gallon pail of fluid film and a $10 spray gun.  The first two application took a lot but since then it is minimal.  Big thing was to drop the spare and spray up behind it that area was rusty but it is between the two rear tires. 

My 2003 Ave had 160,000 mile on it and was good mechanically and body wise but the frame rusted out.  Hoping to head that off with this thing.

Dusting off an old thread...

I'm starting to get the dreaded bubbles on my passenger rear fender and the bottom back of the rear door area so I've been searching frantically for something to use.  Been seeing Fluid Film a lot.  I stumbled upon this YouTube comparison that provides good, objective testing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXlhmbvdKBo.

A member on the E46 Fanatics Forum to which I belong mentioned Corrosion Free - https://corrosionfree.com/product-category/vehicle/.  I think this is the one from Canada and looks promising.  I think I may give it a whirl.  As much as I have despised the weather this winter (I LOVE snow and we got none) it has proven beneficial to our vehicles since there has been virtually no salt spread on the roads this year.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/under-car-coatings.html

They have other stuff as well... been in business a long time.

POR-15 is IMO best Paint Over Rust stuff out there.

Surprisingly, the POR-15 didn't hold up very well in the test in the video.

a lot of guys at garage journal swear by FF.  They apply it annually.  I think some buy it in bulk and use like a garden sprayer to apply.  Its a bit messy and IMO its smelly, but its underneath so that doesn't matter much.

frito said:
Surprisingly, the POR-15 didn't hold up very well in the test in the video.
didnt watch but did they then topcoat?

POR 15 is basically a primer and needs regular paint on top as all it does it stop rust and form a simple primer surface.

ygmn said:
didnt watch but did they then topcoat?

POR 15 is basically a primer and needs regular paint on top as all it does it stop rust and form a simple primer surface.
I don't think so.  I don't know which product he used, other than it had to be brushed on.  The thing with fluid film and the similar products is that they don't trap moisture in.  A lot of the products trap in moisture that can lead to more rust.  I'm thinking a POR15 rust convertor followed by a treatment of Corrosion Free.

You are correct about trapping rust under a coating it only makes it worst big time.

When I did my brake lines I use rust reformer on my frame and its holding up well then last summer with my spring shackle replacement I did the rear frame. I thought about using the 2-1 sealer but I decided to wait until I stop the rust.

Like everyone said who know rust better than Rust-oleum. it worked on the hand tools and a cast iron table saw.

normal_rust1.jpg

On paint bubble there is really no way around it you have to sand the rust out reprime and repaint.

PS zinc primers don't work

Yeah, the bubbles and part behind the cladding on the rear doors are what have me nervous.  I can replace parts but I am no body man.  I'm just hoping to slow it down until I can afford a full rust repair and repaint - probably a couple years away.  Im contemplating a full rebuild of the front end this spring/summer.  I think I'll take your approach with the rust reformer while I'm in there.

There are holes in back entry point of the truck where it must have been hit with a rustproofing treatment.  I'm thinking of popping the helmets off, spraying rust reformer in there and then Corrosion Free once the Rust Reformer cures.

Quick question, do you know if they sell Rust Reformer by the gallon for a spray gun or only the aresol cans?  How much did you go through on your project?

Thanks  (y)

They make it in brush on form also,  I think I used about 7 cans
I applied it in 3 medium coats and if you still have the factory coating that is peeling off try to get as much as you can off.

Also make sure the can says automotive, they make several types.

Im still trying to catch up with post but the frame look like this now after 6 months, the little white stuff is road salt since its stays in Michigan.

normal_IMG_20200217_111445914~2.jpg

From  this

normal_IMG_20190607_155404995~2_resize_45.jpg

Wow, huge improvement.  Mine isn't quite that bad... Yet.  I did have to Chuck my spare tire as it is rusted beyond repair.  I do need to get on it this spring or summer.  We had to have the frame of our X7 reinforced last summer it rusted through so badly.  I don't want the Bumblebee to get to that point before I address it.

It was not really that bad it was surface rust where the original coating peeled off

Holly Molly thank god for good ole American metal :laugh:

The only car I really lost to rust was my 93 Bonneville SSEI 4 doors and supercharged but the subframe rotted. Damn I missed that car.

Surprisingly the brake and fuel lines are.in fine shape.

Those SSEI were cool.  I convinced my mother-in-law to get an SSE much to the dismay of my die hard Ford loving father-in-law.  >:D

We have had two Bonnevilles.

Both were good cars.

These rust issues give me nightmares.

I am sorry a lot of you have to deal with such things.

I can barely keep one running.

I can't imagine having to deal with that stuff, as well.

It's just the nature of the beast in snow country you just have to keep ahead of it.. I have to replace the right front fender  this summer and the dog legs behind the rear doors.  I'm starting to see some paint bubbles on the other fenders but nothing bad yet. I know the truck is 17 years old and GM never thought anyone would keep it this long, but she ain't going anywhere

frito said:
Oh, that's good.  We went from this:

3meskG3rzVn2tENCmX4EjUAMoP5MDE6KqGM7A0EYvLHoL-HlD0wkaOJjccyknuJyCvy8oNzugZ0HZ4NFZ4aXTdoh74oon2by699PnHOOmzAYzS-E95i3-WrtcbHhBrwp0A3ZLfTzz6EXk6AjQiujSg5xhkD22bHVqyKT5LrwsnRIhKywN1fWY_ED3MBEJKn1dNtbo74JOwCREsmjl6YLMreJsz2RcYir7zwHef8pe0M3IgX66zZ_GFPtq7KLKeETFIpj2okWzWqW182MtGj4yfezF6w82J59twxE3l9IDzjxnXSKd2w2oaQA9vV5RAA7JfsGXUvgtiPbmqKPkPkDsAkH4HEW8RnzBjaMvaNjSjxHRuGGMS1vLP8BS3laLOp2B98xu-iq_7bnWe97m2uonabaI1FECnEtlKmuKTXF5NQ5J52eT9PSilSytpbp5ozYoi2nwxHe0aTnvtnqx84sLzI9-VL78l0Tw1kBtr1ghpbwN-Cd89RP1XGbBww7ykdQ_EAuUglb3u9dwL8Bm66MXEyU2WZfRgAMCb94l1ZKMgtMg7bZuJ_In2aQFUmAwTlKWK_MaVSSQqfQ9Z64siTVgJm7B3EAR4q92Exx98iqUhmaplcHFB0aoMCjuhoANvuYzrFMUoEd0gEeqnRant3hGhsrGsNr9mubTp7FN4fMs7uOFfQjePQdOE6j=w1600-h777-no

To this

HlWdbKa7iev7IyW8U7GwRLqo7LcyLBHD_VJcjpsumg2knHx3h3CPy7xGW5lxqea0l2C3WHwycuKZoN_GgtPDqsk0rkfid_3ypib03esIO5WVtCr_2iEgnDx9RtZ9aA0SYlWlKSFTbGx_yr_ZSd4l93kfI9yIv9nkh6Q6egWJ6RQbpFQTFNZJMPg7jy7F4niAo3eoIVwN5MIv0NVP6pxfam1BJxixaHg1mrX_GgKngul-Chwc53EaZyT76MOop7007NXzMBSoqzaI9daQlOwenOD9CkiiQMf8_J6HXWrLhvH55Zm-qqqsq6LgK9RjmqCFUjjd2ebT9mwAZcAmJn-jVSO3ltXYtkz6sQRN85x9_7ETJ_xRVFgHVXB8Fx3XeT3dHFARaCvM9mumRVTGj7dNDLJkLxEve95BV3XYnBnsQlbeuZXTL3WNfYGHchw36LxeyU2pr2xmR8Xa_PFaWeFGfd1PgS9p6NjWokjX0YDjHxjBpssCnI2obIPUvhtH8wbSi4o9qdxAYGz49vV58fZSuQ-U1F-4xhuGp8KpET-zoqLwy399gUBDgcbNV--OG74GyDrCwNlvyTCcZbl44S2Wivm-ysAz9PsGnehcbYd31vdIjEsQ8MT8WZI3A6EnESJCelKltgI1YmXG00k9_Dw8_5Rajsj3DJewLyNVOeCY00bqEVg5eoARMwqtLCMmj1fecwLdWbsxNUEw7K3cNw=w712-h346-no

Holy crusties!!  :eek:
Is this your Avalanche, frito??

Oh wait. I see further up where you stated that this is an X7? What is that? A Nissan?

CarMech1969

CarMech1969 said:
Holy crusties!!  :eek:
Is this your Avalanche, frito??

Oh wait. I see further up where you stated that this is an X7? What is that? A Nissan?

CarMech1969
Nope.  It's our faithful 2001 Suzuki, Barney.  2001 was the first year for the XL-7 in the US.  It's an elongated version of the Grand Vitara to accommodate a third row of seating and seven passengers.  In 2001 it was actually sold as a Grand Vitara XL-7.  Staring in 2001, I think, they dropped the reference to the Grand Vitara and simply marketed it as the XL-7.  This thing by far and away has been the best value proposition of any vehicle we have ever owned and has been passed to everyone in the family.  We bought it new in 2001 as my wife's daily driver.  It became my winter vehicle in 2009 when my wife got a new ride.  It then passed down to our older daughter when she started driving and then to our younger daughter when she started driving.  It is still her daily driver.

jLY_v-9rEAi3M7od_3zkE8V8-nxur5nSwNTadQ2Chiwy3NcptgBIUycMAodL3t9nhTYqKYVK6V9PoxXhgxRe3mL9lmOfIsnI64Xe9ZnRp3VWFUXO_WqGj2BfcwTob9Agd7Zy4gjsdGij9wYb8zxZsoiEFrCo914nV8UIwbNvfGvciUvv7xSulOEyLWXESIrfXY6nDQFQ7-GGGOUGzFnKDUZky81IAl9a4oMo87e3MM4dq4DY5QJ5GePxpxmtGFKnlFveEC4J3Ylgh7DWdoHH6PLEdjKZF3QnEKBfPhjpNK8NuCLgoQBYGDZtB0rELT_dYXvCyPLvjW0OkX0UE8lqFoAx8p_rsgJ1S4py2etdlmeJDcS-e5tYsUoovS4Dfi7VwFQgHPR5MC5IWd7jTtdiFOH-MVEKcpf8mWn0i7dLeF8s8Lx2mWGItjlPI3TcmCF_dfqF7qz14Vkmkn_ahvxnvIHMV9V_RGqNPpMQYx6UnF1HrhxVsNlhGBkrguaS2FAw9eZ-TlARtIRAGBJp1ZeChvpHXA4ewic2TaHnpFyB0ZIcH1LWaR2MU3w7dVYeLI8G9vyBAcEJ_XloCFoN19IzHEoz2rT7QbaMw0NzQmSi95qqr9BjDMxmrC-ThdMnjKy29xHEQ27hWW4UglhRbgAUeyyecs1eddJo864c8_UIU_sJX1-LrB5uisc=w1665-h937-no

and with its winter wheels and tires

R63sVP9jhsetXvlR88r-eSB8XjdLUhNbtyEBjHUa-uMzPdOoMyrTT-eh5UGlk3aywUDPJ56Aqw2s4HODcqL1Sb34gkSm_winxOLnsMpqmslEFZpBCHaN614oj0-qgn3z0zvkpxFHFKaYbUE6FBMJ01yP5LCuvZK2lRCEmZCMx9nP1NahGm_3-3PTPXHwvkeLZsi6EExFiEqlEXEFdV27QawD5PC_W0exxsiQ_wcK6LtfNugl5cruz8tQDes_mSZ0CB6arwcKtGZgwASdFd0nPiDL1SDCeqadn-3KHOi5n37D-3YF9gyepkvprrGaUlMh7UkuD7t-7ZiBqZCzG9rvTwVxZlw8CLNozDnmTqwzGhsoepMFo4f6jvEyRAF4ASdZdVwPe1WG63FST3bRMkM7VkFzqUoabJLN5n4kOLQoViN3F5Z9wMJxSc7cWaVIzdWH3LJTl-PFVYeLSt7Ap6rohbH4bwB0DHMv55MfXvMTSxC19_xjiS6nIu74z7YQE8ATDi-gtrhgJzegubAMZORdagzoPE5FKrlttdzOdRuh8Ec9J7wKtIVMyhnRnESPlrKdkFYAGj1LJJ9RIGi6X7wTd51k6ibJlguyHDgTTN7ZzjbM4Xti5nTRoyP1fU2mj0Kq6rCsHafC_u0SvEpo6ORlJNfXb4kcimN5srLfuxtQy5jdFZisuqlqFjY=w1665-h937-no

Back