• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Tires and Wheels

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I need to get some tires for my AV, my General Grabber Red Letter tires $UCK big time in the snow, had to drive real slow today for 20 miles because kept sliding all over the un-sanded roads, barely a dusting. I'm thinking about getting some AT tires and an inexpenssive set of wheels to go with them. I am leaning towards Toyo AT2s, I've had good luck with them on my work truck. But want to get others opinions.

Thanks.

Been looking at Cooper Discoverer ATW for the next tires for mine.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1501-cooper-discoverer-atw-tire-test/

I have the cooper a/tw's. haven't gotten to drive in the snow yet but they are great in everything else so far.

If you're going to run them on separate wheels just in the winter, I'd get a set of winter tires.  I bought a set of these for mine and they did fantastic in the snow and ice.  I have a ski slope for a driveway that I have to drive UP to get to the street.  Only once last year did I have to use auto-AWD to get up.  And I challenged myself by not snow blowing until after I got home. 

Thanks, but I'm not putting a small tire on a lifted truck, I couldn't stand looking at my AV with small tires on her. Besides, I may end up using the tires some in the spring and summer, given that the new rims will be perfectly fitted to my AV, as appose to my 16's which require a 9MM spacer

Oh, I wasn't thinking you would get this size... it's just a link to the exact tire, size and all, that I got.  I'm sure they make it in a size more appropriate for your beast, and if you have a set of wheels you're going to use just for the winter, this would be a good choice.

I ended up settling on the new Procomp AT sport, it is a new offering, but they say that it has superior snow and wet traction, and also a 60K treadwear warranty, 10K more than the Toyo's. Also got the XD 181 wheels, and the new ARB TPMS. So a nice little pre christmas for my AV,  :E:

Where is the pic :dunno:

james21 said:
I ended up settling on the new Procomp AT sport, it is a new offering, but they say that it has superior snow and wet traction, and also a 60K treadwear warranty, 10K more than the Toyo's. Also got the XD 181 wheels, and the new ARB TPMS. So a nice little pre christmas for my AV,  :E:

Those Pro-Comp tires are nice looking. Do you mean the XD 818 wheels? If so, those are pretty sweet! I don't think I have ever seen a 181 series.

I am a little surprised that the Red Letters didn't do well in the snow. The tread block on them looked good, of course I had a set of Mastercraft AT tires on the 02 that you would have thought would do great in the snow. They, however, were complete garbage..

Can't wait to see some pics of them installed!  (y)

Sorry about that I meant to say XD801 Crank:http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&wheelMake=KMC+XD+Series&wheelModel=XD801+Crank&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoModel=Avalanche+Z71+4wd&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

The Red Letters might be better in deeper snow, but the light snow and dustings that we've gotten lately, the lack of siping, they act like slicks.

I will get some pics up as soon as they are swapped

Well, not going to have those wheels after all, tried mounting them, with a '0' offset and they wouldn't clear the control arm. So need to pick out new wheels now :E:

SRFNSNO said:
I am still running my Trxus its on 3rd set.
need to rotate them. :beating:

Eric, I am glad that you had good luck with Interco (y). I went through two sets of the trxus in 20K miles, 4 of them seperated going down the road, FUN times when you are doing 70 on the hwy :E:.

Anyways, Finally got new wheels and tires put on, and I know someone is going to say it; they were put on in the middle of a snow storm and my AV is filthy, and I am not posting a pic of my dirty AV. Tires seem to handle really well, after driving 600+ miles on the hwy, and the TPMS system from ARB works well too.

Back