• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Blizzard 2017

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Well just wanted to see how everyone is doing during the blizzard?

I am currently snowed in down in Bloomsburg PA, I was on vacation but not with the 2ft plus, it is crazy out there. Actually saw an EXT that drove off the road into a field because the road disappeared.

Survived it here near Allentown pa. Had to go into work at noon and it was crazy in spots but not much trouble for the AV. We didn't get the 23" they were saying we were going to get because it sleeted all morning instead of snow.

A buddy of mine from Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania sent me this.

snow_zpsvwjamxiq.gif

Over here in Bloomsbury there is over 30", crazy. I was out yesterday during the storm digging out cars and pulling TTs that got stuck

About 20" over here in State College.
I would come over to Bloom for the day if I wasn't crazy busy.
If you're looking for good American food in town try the West End Ale house. It's on the 100 block of West Main downtown. One of the best places to eat in town. They have a burger called the inferno that's excellent if you like hot stuff. They also have a burger ( I forget what it's called) that has a hot dog, no bean chili and molten cheese on it that's really good too. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to have cheap wings on Wednesdays too. Not to mention they keep like 30+ beers on tap.

Wow!  :eek:

It is amazing how a few hours north makes such a difference.

Less than an inch in Morgantown, and just a few inches at home..

It sounds like your trip back has been just as interesting as the trip down  :p

Thanks for the tip Tom, maybe next trip I'll stop in. Bloomsbury was still a mess today, all day. I headed out around 1 and the roads were still really bad. Wouldn't have been able to find any parking on the street. Its crazy, I drove south on US-11 and about 10 miles the roads were cleared of snow. I guess some towns clean their roads better than others. I did manage to find a good place for a cheese steak tho, Smittys on Main :thumbs:.

Yeah this trip is definitely more fun than the one last july, however, a bit warmer couldn't hurt. Those nasty winds cause some big accidents today, seemed like every Interstate was blocked by jackknifed TT's, or multi-car MVA's, actually I think driving was a lot worse today than yesterday, no body but the TT's were out yesterday.

james21 said:
Thanks for the tip Tom, maybe next trip I'll stop in. Bloomsbury was still a mess today, all day. I headed out around 1 and the roads were still really bad. Wouldn't have been able to find any parking on the street. Its crazy, I drove south on US-11 and about 10 miles the roads were cleared of snow. I guess some towns clean their roads better than others. I did manage to find a good place for a cheese steak tho, Smittys on Main :thumbs:.
All the towns throughout central and east central PA are like that. You might be driving on a totally clear road and all of a sudden there is 6" on the road. With PA being a commonwealth and having over 2500 individual municipalities all with their own governing home-rule charter and separate municipal staff and duties, it can be a real crap shoot weather or not the roads are taken care of where you're heading vs. where you're starting from.  I've been to Smittys a few time, I always get the chicken steak though. There's a place called Balky's in Girardville (about 20 miles south of Bloomsburg) that has the best steaks I've ever had outside of Philly.

Back