• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

bed cover panels - LEAK

poormarky

I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this has been coved before.  My AV bed cover panels are leaking.  Is there any trick to get them to stop leaking.  I don't have a huge amount of water in the bed, but what I had in the bed is wet.  Any suggestions will help/

Have you found out where its leaking

Your panels might leak a little. That's at the rub matter is designed the way it is.. One trick you could do is remove and reinstall them.. Sometimes that helps. Also inspect seals and see if any panels are Warped.

first off welcome to the site.

Second read tis thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,34739.0.html

describes what happens to water in and around bed.

Also doesn't hurt to get the factory Water Management Service Procedures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-GM-Dealer-Service-Avalanche-Escalade-EXT-Water-Management-System-/222451762819?hash=item33cb288683:g:pFoAAOSwuxFY1tVN&vxp=mtr

I've had a similar problem with both Avalanches I've owned, a 2003 and currently a 2005 LT. I haul equipment every weekend that CANNOT get wet. I think the Avalanche is the PERFECT truck, but sadly I'm thinking of having to switch to a regular SUV because of the hassle of having to unload equipment every time it rains, instead of leaving it for the morning (I'm a musician, so it's often late when I get home!) Here is the problem: regular light rain, no problem. Heavy rain, and it leaks in certain spots between every bed cover! The worst is the seal between cover #1 and the rear window. Sometimes you just want to slap those engineers...they make this awesome utility vehicle, but they screw up the cover system. Did you ever notice that the three covers are slightly curved to the outside? This I believe is intentional and makes sense in order to channel the water to the outside gutter system. HOWEVER, have you also noticed that the curvature REVERSES when it gets cold out - say, anything below about 50 degrees without the sun shining? Then the water stays in the middle! it has nowhere to go but build up and leak somewhere! Warm day, sun shining, no problem...the covers are curved towards the outside. Cold weather days, they change. Frustrating! What idiot engineers didn't anticipate this??

Is there ANYONE who knows a fix?

Eric1 said:
I've had a similar problem with both Avalanches I've owned, a 2003 and currently a 2005 LT. I haul equipment every weekend that CANNOT get wet. I think the Avalanche is the PERFECT truck, but sadly I'm thinking of having to switch to a regular SUV because of the hassle of having to unload equipment every time it rains, instead of leaving it for the morning (I'm a musician, so it's often late when I get home!) Here is the problem: regular light rain, no problem. Heavy rain, and it leaks in certain spots between every bed cover! The worst is the seal between cover #1 and the rear window. Sometimes you just want to slap those engineers...they make this awesome utility vehicle, but they screw up the cover system. Did you ever notice that the three covers are slightly curved to the outside? This I believe is intentional and makes sense in order to channel the water to the outside gutter system. HOWEVER, have you also noticed that the curvature REVERSES when it gets cold out - say, anything below about 50 degrees without the sun shining? Then the water stays in the middle! it has nowhere to go but build up and leak somewhere! Warm day, sun shining, no problem...the covers are curved towards the outside. Cold weather days, they change. Frustrating! What idiot engineers didn't anticipate this??

Is there ANYONE who knows a fix?

Take a look at this

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,150120.msg2151290.html#msg2151290

I never had a problem with my 02, other than a few drops at the tailgate, in 14 years. Keep the bed panel seals clean and conditioned with a good conditioner like 303 Aerospace. Hold the rear of the bed panel off the rail about 6" when you are pushing it into the panel in front of it, pushing it into that panel firmly. Then rotate it down flat while still pushing forward, then lock it into place. That's what worked for me.

Back