• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New to Avalanches, Got the Mod Bug

reddeadg8

I have had my 2011 Avalanche Z71 4x4 for about 3 weeks now.  I drive it 60 miles each day commuting to work. sometimes stop and go, sometimes 40-60mph average.  Its in good condition with just over 60k miles on it.

I am considering modifying it and would like others thoughts/experiences. This is what I want to do:

Remove DoD and install factory/GM cam (or the BTR Stage 1 or 2 truck cam)
Install Rough Country 3.5" lift
Install Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on all 4 corners
Put 33" tires on the factory 18" wheels
Replace 3.08 gears with Yukon 3.73 gears
Install front and rear Helwig sway bars

My question to you would be what is the goal of your mods? Looks, towing/off-roading, more torque, more horsepower etc?

I hope you know if you lift your AV into the airflow more, put on heavier tires and lower the gearing you will also lower your gas mileage, Is that a concern with all that stop and go driving?
Also the Z71 AV used to come standard with Bilstein shocks but the stock ones might not handle the lift so the 5100 ones may be a good choice.
If you want more torque at take-off or with heavy loads or towing many members have been happy with a supercharger and they didn't have to tear the motor down to re cam it, and if you get a complete kit with a tuner you might be able to get rid of the DoD and other things as well.
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

The plans for the truck is just my daily driver or long trip vehicle.  I dont tow.  I'd like to lift it a little for looks but also to give myself a little more clearance since we have a long rainy season in FL and roads around here dont drain off very well. Everything else is just to tweak performance or reliability. I dont need a fast truck. MPG's are not too much of a concern as long as I am not down too low, if I can stay at 15MPG or better then I am happy.  I dont feel the need for a supercharger/turbo on the truck.

I understand about flooding and driving since I live in coastal area of Va. and we get lots of rain and tidal flooding. A lift can at times help in some situations but it can also be sort of like 4wd, it helps in bad conditions or it can get you in deeper situations where no one can help you.
Many drivers in this area put on big tires and lifts thinking it makes them like a monster truck and they drive through watery areas even though they can't see the pavement beneath the water to gauge it's depth. Problems hit when the get to a sinkhole or water rises quickly. Then their electrical shorts out or motor quits and they are stranded in deep water. Then you have the issue of driving through brackish or salt water really eats away at the metal over time and the vehicle rusts out.
Most insurance companies in this area will total out a flood damaged vehicle if it is used vehicle since they know it will be a source of constant problems.
Good luck with your mods, enjoy your AV and drive safe.....

I am well experienced with driving in rain and flood covered roads.

any anyone else have thoughts/suggestions on my proposed mods?

Driving that far on a daily basis as I also do... You will HATE driving like that. And if you raise it too much you can be ticketed for an unsafe truck. The bumpers have to be within a certain range so you don't ride over the top of another vehicle while on the expressway. It MAY vary from state to state but could also be a federal regulation. If you ride up over the top of someone because you looked away and missed the guy stopping in front of you how are you going to feel if you kill someones little kid sitting in the back of their car? Not to mention you could be potentially criminally liable if your truck is over a certain height. Some lift kits and such will say "for off road use only" and they mean it. Just because other trucks are on the road with them and never seem to get ticketed doesn't mean they are safe or legal. Just be aware. I plan to jack my truck up in a few years but my truck will be an off road vehicle at that point.

When you add off road tires they have thicker sidewalls to prevent cutting from rocks and the treads will create a loud drone at highway speeds. So they will cost more fuel to keep spinning... Not to mention the gearing and such too.

I laugh when you say keep it at 15 or above.. If you do what you propose you will be lucky to see 12 mpg... Due to the tires, extra weight of the tires/rims, the gearing, air under the truck etc..

reddeadg8 said:
I have had my 2011 Avalanche Z71 4x4 for about 3 weeks now.  I drive it 60 miles each day commuting to work. sometimes stop and go, sometimes 40-60mph average.  Its in good condition with just over 60k miles on it.

I am considering modifying it and would like others thoughts/experiences. This is what I want to do:

Remove DoD and install factory/GM cam (or the BTR Stage 1 or 2 truck cam)
Install Rough Country 3.5" lift
Install Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on all 4 corners
Put 33" tires on the factory 18" wheels
Replace 3.08 gears with Yukon 3.73 gears
Install front and rear Helwig sway bars

A 3.5" lift is a minimal and with 33" tires will be fine with 3.73's and should not be a problem with the law. Mine has a 6" lift and I love it and it's a daily driver with over 200,000 miles on the lift. Definitely go with the 5100 Bilstein's and as far as other the mods you want to do a lot of us have done, so go for it.

Good luck with your new to you AV and welcome to the club.

Thanks Randy. your response is the best so far.  everyone else, thanks for your opinions but they are irrelevant.  I cant believe I wasted time reading your comments about safely driving in water and lifting too high and killing kids.  amazing the idiocy here.  guess this forum was in its golden age back when these trucks were still being made.

Back