• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Would this work for a 2006?

Night0wl

I have an 06 LT with the Bose system and On Star.
I am new to the Avalanche and Chevy trucks in general.
I found myself as with many others desiring a back up camera.
Would the following ebay item work for me?  I realize there is more to it than just the mirror with the screen embedded in it.
I guess I am asking if this is a compatible mirror for an 07 and later avalanche or if it would be correct for the 06

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-657-OnStar-Autodim-Rearview-Mirror-w-3-5-BACKUP-CAMERA-DISPLAY-/262006426551?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

The seller sounds like he would be able to answer this question, but I thought I would throw it out her first.
I hear some of you saying things on other threads about getting the computer reprogrammed for certain features.
I don't really want to go down that road.
Another issue is that my mirror has the compas and the digital temp gauge in the upper right hand corner so I would of course be loosing those to add the back up camera mirror.
I can figure out the wiring etc for this setup and adding the camera wiring power to the reverse lights etc...
Just don't want to mess up the auto dim, auto headlights etc if that is controlled through a sensor in the mirror somewhere.
Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Oh and one last thing, I'm not a big fan of adding a little monitor in the cubby hole etc.

I am not familiar with that specific product, but I can shed some light on the system.

07 are wired differently than the 06 down, their cameras are not wired to the mirror but go to a module under the front seat then go to the mirror. The 06 does not have the wiring or the module. When I looked up the Gentex647 it does say 07 up.

Thanks for the info.  I have looked over numerous threads on a back up camera system and some of them have really good info.  I think after giving it much thought I am going to bite the cost and go with a head unit that has GPS, Bluetooth and of course can handle the back up camera.
This will allow me to delete the large GPS I have over by the drives side pillar and also get rid of the parrot bluetooth system at the same time.
I know I can get a decent head unit for a decent price but I have heard the harness fetches a good penny as well.
In the end I think this will be the best route.
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Check over at www.crutchfield.com they also show what adapter you will need.

Back