• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Leveling 2009 LTZ

cptwranglr

I have an 09 LTZ that I want to level.  I see there are 2 different ways of doing this.  Is the torsion bar system better than the strut extensions?  Does one of these not work on my truck? It is equipped with the compressor system shocks.

Thanks

Only first gen (02-06) Avalanches had torsion bars so that's not an option for you.

What do you mean by "level"?  The 2nd gen LTZ is special because it auto-levels for you, all the time.  What more would you need to do?  It's my favourite feature on the entire truck.

JohnnieMo said:
What do you mean by "level"?  The 2nd gen LTZ is special because it auto-levels for you, all the time.  What more would you need to do?  It's my favourite feature on the entire truck.
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe the auto-ride levels the AV, it adjusts accordingly to keep it in it's factory slack and suspension angles which have a + rake from front to rear. To "level" the Av you would have to add height to the front or subtract if from the rear.

The front end sits 2 inches lower than the rear, the auto suspension does not make it level.  So are the strut extensions the way to go?

cptwranglr I'm curious tell us about your AV how many miles are on it. Do you have any warning message like Service Suspension. I suspect your front suspension is worn out.

I have put 80,000 miles on it.  There is nothing wrong with the suspension, I just want to lift the front of the truck to match the height of the rear. 

Thank you MS03.  If I raise the front end will that negatively affect the Autoride leveling system?

Here is the problem

All LTZ came with the autoride RPO code Z55, it should be leveling your AV already.

It does it by raising and lowering the rear, if your front is down by 2 inches the system is not working right. I suspect the rear is 2 inches too high. So yes it will effect it. I would suggest you have the system adjusted.

Can you hear the compressor pump running at all.

Attachments

• z55.JPG
    z55.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 38
The compressor definitely runs.  The ?rake? with the rear being higher is a stock thing, isn?t it?
Does the compressor do anything to the front shocks?  I understood it only affects the rear axle.

No on the ltz its supposed to be level. No the compressor only uses the rear.

Back