• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Leveling kit for 2013 LTZ

IBSKID

Hey need advise.  Looking to add a leveling kit to my 2013 Avalanche LTZ with auto ride.  One reputable 4X4 place recommended against it.  An other place said no problem.  I want to do it but only if it doesn't cause problems.  All opinions welcome. Thank you

Level front stance to rear.  I'm trying to achieve a level stance/look

IBSKID said:
Hey need advise.  Looking to add a leveling kit to my 2013 Avalanche LTZ with auto ride.  One reputable 4X4 place recommended against it.  An other place said no problem.  I want to do it but only if it doesn't cause problems.  All opinions welcome. Thank you

Listen to the company don't to it, it's going to cause you nothing but problems.

If all you want to do is raise the front end I have a set of 1/2 spacers for the front that should work for you.

We used a superior suspension kit for her truck with 3.5" up front and 3" in the rear. The rear for her 2013 Silverado is leaf springs so it used blocks to raise the rear. The front just used a spacer on top of the shocks for 3" and another under the shock for the other 1/2 inch. The issue with the shock spacers is that 3.5 inches has the truck resting against the stop when aligned. I just removed the 1/2" spacers to give it more room to align.

With Auto ride you certainly can do a full lift kit. Just be wary of what I just mentioned. The rear on your truck will have coil springs unless they changed from 1st gen so will be different from my GF's truck. The only issues with the auto leveling is the rear shocks will be MUCH more expensive and you need to move the ride height sensor. Since the stock shocks for those is ~$300+ea if you go with a lifted truck and need longer shocks your going to have issues finding the right shocks and may have to disable the auto height system which will likely throw codes unless you can disable the sensor(s).

So can you do it? Sure... But you may find it will be much more expensive than a standard lift or you will have to make sacrifices.

The 1/2" front lift shouldn't affect your ride height unless they changed the system with the 2013. In the older trucks it only affects the rear axle and is intended to adjust for different loads. As I understand it anyhow.

Are there torsion keys under the 13 AV? I just want to raise the front about an 1" to 1.5", not 3"s. On my 05 I just adjusted the keys up and bit no issues...

No Tyme said:
Are there torsion keys under the 13 AV? I just want to raise the front about an 1" to 1.5", not 3"s. On my 05 I just adjusted the keys up and bit no issues...
do not think so...

Coil overs I think is what they have.

LEvel kit is spacers on top of coil over.

read soem threads in this section.

Not much info on raising the front end with the air suspension. What I have read so far sound like the spacers won't work with the air shocks.

My direct experience is only with my EXT.

The air shocks are only on the rear.

There is a sensor in the rear between the frame and the rear suspension that detects the amount of squat of the rear when a load is applied.

The computer will add or remove air from the rear air shocks as needed to maintain the rear at a predetermined level.

Front shocks do not have air and do not move the truck up and down like the rear air shocks do.

Rear doesn't care what the level of the front is.

So I would think that messing only with the front would not mess with the rear.

Am I missing something?

???

EXT4ME said:
My direct experience is only with my EXT.

I believe I have air on all 4 corners and with these leveling sensors I am out in left field. Never have 4 wheel air suspension before.  And I don't really want to lift so to speak. Just an inch or so in the front.

EXT4ME is right. The air ride is only for the 2 rear shocks. There is a sensor that is attached to the frame rail, and detects when the rear of the truck starts to sag. It will add air to the shocks. If the rear of the truck is too high, it will let air out.

The front shocks have electronic dampening. A computer controls the flow of fluid in the shocks to make them stiffer or softer, making adjustments hundreds of times per minute. I don't think these are impacted by the height of the truck, rather the changes in individual sensors around the truck determining the bounce of wheels.

OK, I stand enlighten from you reply. I have an internet chat with someone on Rough Country's web site and he replied that their 2" lift which goes on the bottom of the front shocks with NOT affect the Autoride suspension. I will continue to research until I am 100% sure but this looks like the route I will take.
Again, NOT looking to lift the whole truck: just raise the front a bit, and really a little sag will be OK, just not that felon my face look.
Thanks for the education HellHoof

redheadedrod said:
If all you want to do is raise the front end I have a set of 1/2 spacers for the front that should work for you.

From what I have read so far it seems that I should stay away from putting any spacers on top of the front shocks because of a 90 degree connection that will be difficult at best to make.

Right now I am looking to place a spacer at the bottom of the shock but want to hear from any others who have done so and if they had issues.

HellHoof said:
EXT4ME is right. The air ride is only for the 2 rear shocks. There is a sensor that is attached to the frame rail, and detects when the rear of the truck starts to sag. It will add air to the shocks. If the rear of the truck is too high, it will let air out.

The front shocks have electronic dampening. A computer controls the flow of fluid in the shocks to make them stiffer or softer, making adjustments hundreds of times per minute. I don't think these are impacted by the height of the truck, rather the changes in individual sensors around the truck determining the bounce of wheels.

Z55, yes you are correct, Thanks

My GF's truck has the same front end as your truck.

The Supreme Suspensions kit actually had two spacers. One for the top of the shock and one for the bottom. The one for the bottom was the "leveling" spacer and the top one was a 3" spacer.

The top spacers are very simple. Your rotating your shock but that is fine. They rotate without issue. Basically you bolt your shock into the spacer then the spacer goes where the shock did before. Had to trim off the end of the studs for the shock as they stuck out just past the spacer. again easy to do.

The bottom spacer came with longer bolts to make them work.

On her truck it was advertised as 3" in the back and 3.5 inches in the front with 3" coming from the top spacer and the other .5" from the bottom spacer.

When installed we got an alignment and the issue was the A-Arm was right against the stop which creates some serious issues so I removed the .5" spacer. (Actually still on the truck but used more like a washer as the studs were too long to install in the shocks otherwise. )

I saw a number of the same type of spacers available on Amazon. You could also just replace your shocks with longer ones as well which then solves a few different issues especially if you don't care for your current shocks or if they are worn.

Thanks for the reply: I am looking at this one in particular.

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-Front-End-Leveling/dp/B006R7AW6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516455556&sr=8-2&keywords=rough+country+leveling+kit

I have asked the Amazon community for reviews and actually got this in a reply :

ME: So you installed this on an Avalanche with Auto Ride factory suspension system?

Reply: no a gmc sierra, but it is built on the same platform. it literally bolts on under front shock.

Me: Is your suspension the AutoRide system with RPO code Z55? There are 2 different systems. RPO codes are on sticker in glove box.
Me: I put the 2.5" level lift on my 14 Silverado which is the same as your Sierra, but my Avalanche is more of a Surberban fram with an AutoRide suspension, and is NOT the same as yours.

Reply: none of that matters it but okay just trying to help don't really care if you buy it or not. it was a good product and worked well for me.

With help from others like this I might as well put on a blind fold and walk into traffic. That is why I am doing as much research as I can before I start throwing money around.

EXT4ME said:
The air shocks are only on the rear.

Front shocks do not have air and do not move the truck up and down like the rear air shocks do.

Rear doesn't care what the level of the front is.

So I would think that messing only with the front would not mess with the rear.

Am I missing something????

I agree, I am just hearing too much conflicting info. I'm not gonna run out and start spending money unless I know I can raise up the front without issues. I dread the idea of replacing the front and rear suspension just to raise it an inch or so...

redheadedrod said:
My GF's truck has the same front end as your truck.

The Supreme Suspensions kit actually had two spacers. One for the top of the shock and one for the bottom. The one for the bottom was the "leveling" spacer and the top one was a 3" spacer.

I have been told by adding a spacer on the bottom of the front shock would cause the system to increase the pressure (or whatever its called) and cause the ride to be very stiff.

Well so far so good. My 2013 Avalanche LTZ with Z55 Autoride is now dressed in a level-lift kit from Summit Performance, kit SKU: 121915219209 for the following:

AVALANCHE TAHOE YUKON 2.5" FRONT+1.0"'REAR CH2.5T+CC1.0R

Dealer did my brakes while the SUT was in the shop and she is now sitting on the ground awaiting a front end alignment. They will test drive after the alignment tomorrow and report the finding to me. So far no lights on the dash and compressor operating properly.

KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED.

If you put a rear lift on it and they relocate the level sensor you will be fine. Basically you are just resetting where the truck thinks it should be.

My dealer install of Summit Performance?s level lift on my 13 LTZ Avalanche with Z55 Autoride is complete and all is good. The kit is as listed on their web site, AVALANCHE TAHOE YUKON 2.5" FRONT+1.0"'REAR CH2.5T+CC1.0R, SKU: 121915219209 is installed with no lights and great ride quality. So if you are reading the postings with the nay say?ers I am here to tell you, It Can Be Done with NO ISSUES.

CkzCvyZ.jpg

No Tyme said:
My dealer install of Summit Performance?s level lift on my 13 LTZ Avalanche with Z55 Autoride is complete and all is good. The kit is as listed on their web site, AVALANCHE TAHOE YUKON 2.5" FRONT+1.0"'REAR CH2.5T+CC1.0R, SKU: 121915219209 is installed with no lights and great ride quality. So if you are reading the postings with the nay say?ers I am here to tell you, It Can Be Done with NO ISSUES.

CkzCvyZ.jpg
[/img][/image

I followed your advise and did a dealer install of that Summit Performance kit.  No problems thus far and no complaints from dealer during install.  BTW Dave the owner of Summit Performance was more than patient answering my questions before and after purchase
Trying to figure out how to post pic

Great news... Would luv to see your pic...
You can use a third party web hosting site to upload your photo... I use "Imgur Image Hosting" Once uploaded to that site hit the button under the bold letter "B" and add the link from Imgur in between the
i][img]

Hey Guys,

These threads have been extremely helpful to this newbie looking into things, so thanks for sharing!!
:help:
No Tyme, I particularly like what you have done with the truck, keeping a more stock-like look to it but getting extra clearance.  Few questions Im hoping people here can comment/answer:

1)Hard to tell from the picture, but does your kit maintain the rake in the truck?
2)What measurements do you have for tires/wheels and do you have any rubbing issue?
3)Now that you have had some time since the install, anything come up? Effect your MPG have you noticed?
4)Did you see the 3"front 2" kit from Summit Performance? If you did, what made you choose 2.5"/1" over more lift?
5)Did you at all entertain the Supreme Suspensions for your lift since they have as high as 3.5" front and 3" back?

I'm looking to do my 2013 LTZ w/autoride similar to yours but maybe a little higher depending what all I learn here.

Thanks so much!

Hey Dr Hip, I'll try and answer your questions:

1. NO, rake not maintained. Lift in front was main goal. I cannot stand the Chevy sag. I have read that just because I installed a 2.5" lift in the front I cannot actually say it raised the front 2.5", meaning that the lift could me a bit more.

2. I did not take measurement of wheel wells before and after. I had no rubbing at full lock left or right with the 33's before the lift, but that was observed with truck sitting still and not turning into a drive on an incline.

3. No issues since install. The truck was so new to me when install was done I really can't relate to mpg's lost but I would expect a slight loss with any lift. Also the larger diameter tires would have thrown off my speedo just a tad. At 55 I calculate I am off 1.67 miles per hour. Not enough to worry about in my book.

4. My concern was the rear auto leveling and what to expect with the 1" puck when adding it to the rear. I decided to play it safe and stuck with the 1" rise in rear because it has been installed in another persons truck with no problems. But I will say that the folks at Summit Performance was great to work with. They are next to a shop who does install there products and I was told there have been no issues found with this particular kit.

5. I really only wanted to be able to run my 33" tries that I had on my 14 Silverado Crew since these wheels and Bilzaks were set up as winter shoes. My AV is more or less a garage queen and I don't off road, unless you count driving into my backyard to the barn. But more importantly I did a 2.5" level lift on my Silverado Crew and everything went well. NO excess stress on suspension parts or pre mature wear out of ball joints etc... In my view I leveled for looks, lifted just to be able to use existing tires and I choose to not go to extremes to cause pre mature wear on parts. Also in my view, if I went to 35" tires I would need to invest in a tune to correct speedo, and possibly gears because my AV is running 3:42 ratio.
Besides I like mild over wild in my ride.

Back