• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bob is the Oil Guy's Motor Oil 101

EXT4ME

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
Engine oil is always a good conversation topic with plenty of opinions and viewpoints to share.

I read this article and thought it made some interesting points.

I invite you, if you have the time, to give it a good read and post up your thoughts on the matter.

Bob is the Oil Guy's Motor Oil 101

Interesting read....I don't have much to offer via discussion.  I usually use what the OM recommend's in a decent synthetic.  I've tried the expensive stuff (Royal Purple) in some of my high performance cars, but honestly, with regular oil change interval's, I don't see the benefit.

What I'd like to know, is what do you guys/gals do for regular intervals.  3000 miles has seem to become the defacto, but I've read articles that suggest 7500 miles is more typical, and that 3000 mile changes is just wasting money.

I got 289K miles out of my truck's original engine going by the oil life monitor, changing roughly about every 7-8K miles on average.  Used synthetic, Red Line, except used Mobile 1 once.  Truck had performance camshaft installed around 100K miles, and supercharger around 220K.

Here is the good old Wikipedia piece on motor oil:

Motor Oil

Because this is the Internet, after all.

(y)

I have an '08. Beyond my concern of AFM issues, the previous owner's paperwork shows work was done for a fouled #7 plug. (Along with new plugs they also replaced the valve cover as part of the fix). With both those on my mind I went with a synthetic and made sure it met GM Standards. It was a bit confusing looking for an oil with GM6094M listed on the label and the guys at Autozone were clueless.  GM Dexos replaced the GM6094M standard and newer bottles only list Dexos.

Back