• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dash Camera - Fuse help.

mathematician

i came across this site while searching for help with this particular project and a lot of the pics were deleted, so sorry if it's been talked about before.  I couldn't find it anymore now that i'm a member.

i have an A119 dash camera that i'm wanting to use in my avalanche.  I looked at all the fuses in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash by the drivers door, but they are all constant.  where might i tie into a fuse that is switched so that the camera doesn't come on unless the car is started.

Thank you in advance.

I previously had my dash cam wired into a constant on power source because of it's motion detection parking monitor function.

While it was a neat function, two things made me change my mind about using that feature.

First, I found that when my dash cam turned on and stayed on in the parked vehicle in the middle of the summer, the unit failed due to overheating and had to be replaced.

It took some time for this to occur, but it did happen.

Second, if the truck was not started for several days, the truck's battery would slowly run down.

This problem was partly because of the power draw from the dash cam, but as I later found out, my gauge cluster was going out and that was the main reason my battery was being drawn down.

But that is a story for another thread.

What I ended up doing for power for my dash cam, that was only on while the key was in the on position, was I used a fuse tap and ran my power off of the 10A SEO ACCY fuse.

Here is an example of the fuse tap that I used:

SpyTec Hardwire Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder for A119 | A119S | Mobius | A118C | GIT2 | Dash Camera Hardwire Kits

Now, my dash cam only runs when I have the key turned on.

This has worked much better for me.

(y)

Welcome.
EXT4me makes a good suggestion.
Without knowing they year of your AV and the draw of your camera unit, this is a tough one to answer in any more detail than EXT4me already has.

You should consider adding at least your AV's year to your signature so when you ask questions we at the very least have some point of reference, especially technical ones like this.
Hope you get it figured out

From his Welcome post, he has an "orange '11 Avalanche".

As suggested, placing that information in your signature will help to prevent others from always having to ask or guess what model truck you have.

Great advice from a user that has replaced his descriptive signature with one that suggests forum memberships.

:laugh:

Looking forward to your future posts, mathematician.

(y)

Back