• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

theoretical future avalanche

Fishfinder401

I know there are people saying a new avalanche is being worked on, and some saying it will never come back, but out of curiosity, what would you guys think they would do to update it IF it comes back? What would they aim to compete with?
I personally am a little skeptical that they will, but am very hopeful, got my first avalanch this year(2008 ltz) and i have fallen in love with it and in the future when i can buy a brand new truck would love to spend it on an avalanche... ive driven pickups and large suvs before and nothing compares...

First welcome to the website!
You question really can't be answered simply since there are many factors beyond our knowledge or control to bring a new AV into reality.
The fact is the AV is "the Swiss Army knife" of trucks and does many things well but it doesn't excel at any one thing in particular. (Suburbans haul more people, Silverados have higher tow capacity and drive train options.)
It is hard to market because it is in a class by itself and would not be GM's pick for comparison shows and magazine articles when they want the best pickup or the best SUV etc which shows and magazines tend to like. The Honda Ridgeline was the closest in design but carried less,towed less and less roomy, it also cost almost as much and got the same MPG as the AV.
The average truck buyer never studied the AV and unfortunately many Chevy salesmen didn't study the AV either and when a customer walked the lot and saw an AV right next to a Silverado they saw the price difference and didn't know why they should spend the $10,000 or more to buy the AV since it looked so much like a Silverado. Now the salesmen are trying to lure fans of the AV back to the lot by saying they are bringing back the AV when they see the High Desert Slverado they equate it with the AV.
Problem is the AV is built on the Suburban platform and is not a Silverado pickup.
For us long term owners we have seen the decline in sales and to some extent enthusiasm for the uniqueness of the AV, combined with increased gas mileage fleet requirements by the government I don't think GM wants "another gas guzzler" in the lineup along with complaints of cladding fading, water leaks in bed or cab (which you wouldn't have with a Silverado). Not to mention also increased manufacturing costs kept the AV at close to the cost of a Suburban so now if the AV was being made it would probably cost the customer between $60,000 to $75,000 to buy.
I believe the best way to keep an AV in the family is to keep up with proper maintenance and check frequently for signs of rust especially underneath and remove ASAP, keep seals well maintained and paint and cladding protected too. I would NOT hold my breath and expect a new AV at all.

thanks for the welcome, and yeah, I'm definitely not holding my breath for a new one, although i feel like the biggest thing to make it successful if it was brought back is better marketing, i never knew about the mid gate or any of those features until recently when i saw a few listed so i figured i would look into them... once i saw the features i was sold since i needed more than 1 row of seating at times and also transport a large kayak frequently. if they made it widely known what they could do i feel like they would have been so much more popular
and yeah, i plan on taking care of this thing, it has a small amount of rust i can see starting to show up under the paint behind the rear door, and a smallish dent that i plan on getting taken care of soon once i can afford it.

personally, besides just general updates that all trucks go though, if they could make the seals a little better it would be perfect...

I actually think if it came back as a more basic truck without all the power toys I think it will sell.
I bought mine because it had an 8-foot bed.

MS03 2500 said:
I actually think if it came back as a more basic truck without all the power toys I think it will sell.
I bought mine because it had an 8-foot bed.
Amen B.  I'm probably in the minority, but I don't need or want all the gizmos.  They are just more unnecessary frills to go wrong and expensive to replace.  I want a truck I'm not afraid to get muddy.  I want a truck that, well, rides like a truck.  I want body on frame.  But, I need and want it to do many things - things a Suburban can't do and things a Silverado can't do.  I actually wish I could get my hands on the interior of my old '91 S10 Blazer and plop in the Av.

Sadly, my experience has been, if I like it you bet it's going to get killed off.  Sorry Avy family. 

I'd be fine with the biggest engine and most reliable drive train available.

Then take an accounting of all of the things that were problematic in the previous versions and just leave all of that stuff out.

That should make the new trucks more reliable and help to keep the cost down a bit.

(y)

EXT4ME said:
I'd be fine with the biggest engine and most reliable drive train available.

Then take an accounting of all of the things that were problematic in the previous versions and just leave all of that stuff out.

That should make the new trucks more reliable and help to keep the cost down a bit.

(y)
What problematic stuff are you thinking of leaving out?

Fishfinder401 said:
Me personally, every computer gadget except fuel injection -  leather, autoride systems, dynamic stability control, computerized HVAC...

I understand what you all are saying about technology and hurting the long term ownership of a vehicle now. As the owner of a 1947 Chevy coupe I know about trying to maintain an old vehicle (it was restomoded in 2008 by putting in a 1980s 355 motor etc.) but it basically is a 71 year old car that is still on the road.
I have trouble thinking of an AV still on the road after 70 years considering the lack of support for antiquated electronics. Seems like planned obsolescence and making new cars disposable. So no matter how much we preserve the body and interior the sensors and other stuff may be impossible to find in the future....

Fishfinder401 said:

Spend a day or two reading through this forum and you should get a pretty good picture of the things that seem to be the most problematic.

There are a ton of great features in these trucks.

But there have been, over the years, some features that have shown to have some issues that need to be addressed.

I am talking mostly about things that others have experienced and have made note of in this forum.

The features that I would most likely drop from a new model would be those that are most commonly discussed here and especially those that some owners try to disable in an attempt to not have to spend huge amounts of money to repair properly.

I.E. the AFM system, the auto leveling rear air suspension and the overly complicated 4WD system, the A/C system that blows hot or cold air opposite to what the driver wants, the heated seats and any number of other commonly discussed problems.

Too many things like this for me to list in my post.

So, I suggest to simplify all systems to a more reliable and longer lasting state.

There is no point in having "all the buttons" if all the buttons are prone to break, over time.

How many of us have something broken on our trucks that we are not willing or able to afford to have repaired properly?

The big gizmos are most often the items that owners are looking for cheap alternatives when faced with a repair.

How many owners are looking at doing a major repair to address the AFM system or the auto leveling system, often looking to disable or replace those systems in an effort to not have to deal with those in the future?

Without all of the whiz-bang electronics, I believe they could deliver a more longer lasting and reliable vehicle at a reduced cost that would then appeal to a larger customer base and then make the truck more competitive in the marketplace and therefore give it a chance to survive.

In my opinion, the Avalanche and EXT started out may too fancy and continued that trend until they just priced themselves out of the market.

A niche vehicle that was priced way too high for the average new truck owner and one that suffered from system breakdowns over time that left a bad feeling for the used owner market, at times.

By the time I was able to buy my EXT, it was well worn and required a pretty big investment, on my part (and still does), in an attempt to maintain it in a near-to-new state.

Since there is no way I could afford a new AVA or EXT, this was my only option.

If the less fancy-from-the-factory, yet capable, vehicle was available, I feel that I would be able to purchase a slightly less old used truck that was not as broken as the older used and broken trucks I can now afford. 

Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

So take the Suburban, give it "stow and go" seating for back two rows...
So the seats fold into the floor and make the back removable similar to the old Blazers.

The Suburban could be all carpeting..

Make the Avalanche different by having it look just like a truck bed when the seats are folded in. The back floors could be hard plastic and the sides as well with exterior access to any storage in the rear. You could also have some sort of plating that could go up to protect the back doors and the backs of the front seat so it could be used as a full truck bed.

Even if you only made the removable section for the Avalanche version.

Could be priced similar to a Suburban since you are adding functionality and taking away some of the "creature features".

Would have to believe most that love the Avalanches would go for something like that. Would share much more sheet metal between the Suburban and Avalanche too.

What you are describing redheadedrod is the way Suburbans used to come years ago. They had a stripped "worker's edition" base model and you had to pay extra to get the third row seating and carpeting etc. The problem most Suburban owners faced was it had a permanent roof and rear tailgate or barn doors so the size of your cargo was limited by what would fit inside or through the door opening. The removable roof would be like a Snugtop and could be a source of leaks and you would need a pulley system or another person or two to make it easy to move, then you have to store it somewhere when not in use.Then also to make the cab water tight when the Snugtop was off you would still need a midgate and rear window.
You have to remember that the AV has steel reinforcing in the sail panels since once the roof is off a Suburban it becomes too flexible.
Then you state priced similar to a Suburban, have you priced one of those lately? $50,000 - $75,000 now. Not sure if an AV potential buyer will spend that kind of money for one?

EXT4ME said:
...all of the things that were problematic in the previous versions and just leave all of that stuff out.

I want everything.... as I have had no problems with heat seater AC etc....
You do not have to have these options if you do not want.... order it PLAIN like the WORK version of the Silverado.

stripped and no real options...

I will keep my seat warmers and auto AC etc..

All you photoshoppe guys what would the 2020 av look like I love the av it's the best looking truck around. Unless you are going to do some hardcore hauling why do you need a Silverado most people don't do that kind of hauling just odds and ends. Just more fuel efficient is about the only issue. Maby if thay would find a way to put a midgate and removable back glass in a Silverado but the bed line would just kill me.

GM Authority has some photoshops up:

Future-2020-Chevrolet-Avalanche-Rendering-Front-Three-Quarters-Angle.jpg

Future-2020-Chevrolet-Avalanche-Rendering-Side-Angle.jpg

2020-Chevy-Avalanche-rear.jpg

Oh great, fresh round of concept photos which will confuse some hopeful people into thinking GM will revive the AV for gen 3..... :laugh:

The only things I want out of it, are that it is not built on a Colorado frame, or small truck, but rather a large truck frame, because I've seen rumors that they're bringing it back but it will be mid-size truck lame-frame, which just won't do for me. And I want it to have the new Chevy 6.2.

Vaeagleav said:
Oh great, fresh round of concept photos which will confuse some hopeful people into thinking GM will revive the AV for gen 3..... :laugh:

very true  :laugh:

Vegas Avy said:
The only things I want out of it, are that it is not built on a Colorado frame, or small truck, but rather a large truck frame, because I've seen rumors that they're bringing it back but it will be mid-size truck lame-frame, which just won't do for me. And I want it to have the new Chevy 6.2.

Man, that would be awesome for the site if there did release it on the smaller platform, we could add another sub section >:D

Back