• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I must have screwed it up.

tommckay

I wanted to have one of my power outlets in the dash be switched with the key so I found a 10amp accessory fuse under the hood and verified it was switched. Piggy backed a power wire to it and ran the new wire to the power outlet. Easy peasy. Or so I thought.

I now have a dead truck.

When I turn on the ignition the only thing that works is the power outlet I wired. I get dim lights and flashing lights on the dash, the 4wd selector, cruise LED on the steering wheel, and I hear electronic gadgets moving and making noise. but the check engine light stays on and I got no crank at all. This is making me sick.... what the hell did I do???

First (maybe you already have) verify that the accessory circuit that you tapped into is still getting power.  You may have inadvertently broken the connection from the fuse box to the items that circuit is supposed to power.

Will be hard to tell. I tapped into fuse 43 under the hood that is for Miscellaneous (Ignition), Rear Vision Camera, Cruise Control. which was switched by the ignition. and still provides power with the ignition on.

I have now pulled every fuse and inspected it but still nothing.

Well, it seems that just by me testing circuits and playing around in the truck, it made the battery crap out. Called my brother Ron and he came over. Diagnosed it in about 5 minutes. I guess that's why he's a master mechanic and I'm not. So fingers crossed it was just a fluke and bad timing for the battery and not some weird parasitic draw. New battery and it seems all is well.  :rolleyes:

The battery in my '06 crapped out right in front of Autozone, I couldn't believe it! So I ran in and got a battery and have been a happy camper ever since. Now, TWICE in my life has my vehicle gone dead that I have been in front of an Autozone....

While messing around you may have killed the battery by accident. But otherwise you may have a battery drain. Will have to see how it goes. Did you disconnect the original wire from the power port and tape it off so it doesn't rub against the body or anything?

Rodney

Back