• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Higher rev when shifting in cold weather

grandoak

Lately as temperature have dropped, I am noticing occasions, seems like when engine is cooler, of a stall in shifting between 3rd and 4th gears.  Other gear shifts appear to be normal, but the 3rd to 4th is a delay causing an extra rev to 3000 RPM before shifting instead of the 2 to 2.5 k RPM.  After driving a bit, it shifts normally again, that is unless I stop and truck cools down a bit.

Any thoughts on cause?

Year and mileage of the truck?

You can add that information to your signature and not have to repeat it later.

Transmission fluid level?

Could be as simple as a shift solenoid or low fluid or possibly the transmission is getting close to needing a rebuild.

I saw in another of your posts that you have an 03.  As noted by EXT4ME we need to know about your truck as the transmissions have changed over the years.

Many people confuse the torque converter locking up in 4th gear with the 3-4 shift.  Colder weather does affect the converter lockup and may be what you are experiencing.  This is normal, and is much more noticeable if a previous owner had installed a torque converter with a higher than stock stall speed.

Back