• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Third Brake Light is delayed from the tail lights when pushing the brake pedal

ReaperHGN

I just got my Avy back from some work at the mechanics (oil change and trans check).  When I picked up the truck, they let me know that the third brake light doesnt come on right away when you press the brake pedal.  Interestingly, the brake lights come on as you would expect but the third eye doesnt light up right away.  Nothing comes to mind as to why this would happen.  I thought the brake lights and the third eye were essentially the same circuit.  Has anyone ever heard of this before?  Or any idea what would cause a delay in the third eye but not the two other brake lights?

Nope they are on separate circuits.

Ah, that explains how they can react differently.  Do you happen to know if its separate all the way to the brake switch or does it branch somewhere after the signal from the switch?  Anyone know where a schematic could be had on the brake components?

The schematic in my Chilton manual shows the circuit split in the underhood fuse center, with separate 10A fuses for each subcircuit.

Ok thanks. I am remiss that I do not have a manual for my Avy.  I will have to pick one up and see if I can determine what could be the cause of that delay in the circuit.  I hope its something simple :)

Back