• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake lines

Edfort

PM 2019
PM 2018
Does my 2002 avy 2500 have hydraulic brakes and brake lines. Looking to purchase lines and I keep seeing hydraulic.

Are you referring to Hydroboost? The 2500?s have Hydroboost.

Looking to replace brake lines. Is that the abs system under drivers door where all lines hook into.  What are the best lines to buy?

Yeah the ABS is under the driver's seat on the frame rail. Be warned that front right line is a serious pain to get in.

But it beats paying 1400 to have someone replace them

The brake system is a hydraulic system. Brake fluid is a hydraulic fluid.

Stainless steel is the way to go. It is less forgiving to work with.

This will get you started GM also has a kit.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?year=2002&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche%25202500&origin=YMM&parttype=Brake%2520Hydraulic%2520Line%2520Kit

2500 never had JL4  and I would never ever put Stainless Steel lines in a 7,000-pound truck especially  Dorman.

They may be good for a 3,000-pound car but you may have a problem with the fittings blowing out. :dunno:

I would do the replacement AC Delco line Real Steel vinyl coated. Take it from a person that has actually done it.

JVZL1 said:
The brake system is a hydraulic system. ....

CONFIRM and agree.

Wow.    Game. SET. and match.  Ok. I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.      Love my AV.  It's my first.  She's  beautiful.  So I'm new to this. And I want to take really good care of her.  So I will also agree . And do it right the first time.  I thank you very much.  Now.  One more question.  Dont have time to do it myself.  What would be approx cost if dealer, mechanic,  monkey, robot. Did the work. 

MS03 2500 said:
2500 never had JL4  and I would never ever put Stainless Steel lines in a 7,000-pound truck especially  Dorman.

They may be good for a 3,000-pound car but you may have a problem with the fittings blowing out. :dunno:

I would do the replacement AC Delco line Real Steel vinyl coated. Take it from a person that has actually done it.

Like he said been there done that.. I'm just throwing out some suggestions. Look at upgrading your rubber flex lines going this far.

Not sure why Byron is against Stainless Steel lines. They are harder to work with but the vynal coated lines will corrode if you nick them while putting them in. The Stainless lines don't bend as easy and you have to be careful to not cross thread the fittings but have never heard of Stainless lines having "blow out" issues. We use similar stainless steel lines at work on just about everything and never have a problem. Its all about the install.

I also found it was easier to install the passenger side front line with the whole front bumper assembly off the truck. I also replaced my flexible lines with stainless flexible lines at the same time.

Since your doing all of the lines I also found it easier to just cut off the lines at the ABS unit, remove the ABS unit and remove the bolts from the ABS unit out of the truck. I used that time to pull apart my ABS unit and check for corrosion or other issues. My ABS unit looked fine so once I removed the lines I reinstalled it back in the truck.

You may find pulling the ABS unit is not necessary but cutting apart the lines makes removing them so much easier. If you get the stainless lines you don't want to modify them at all. And as Byron said, the front line can be a royal pain. But as I said, when I pulled the bumper it made the job a whole lot easier.

Rodney

https://www.amazon.com/StopTech-950-66501-Brake-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0049YGWIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541274977&vehicle=2002-47-417-20-28-53-6--1308--9-2-2557-88-2-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2002%3Achevrolet%3Aavalanche+2500&keywords=stainless+steel+braided+brake+lines&dpID=41im3A1fGVL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

there are others out there. I believe the 1500 and 2500 are the same. The big thing is do you have a lift. Need lines to match lift.

1400 dollars was what the dealer quoted me to put the lines on.
Dealers lift the body up to get the lines in. 2500s have radiator support so far forward that it is extremely hard to get front right line in.

Let me know if you want the instructions if you decide to do it your self.

No lift.  What flexible other lines are we talking about. And I plan on paying someone.  The deal is.  Bought truck two months ago.  Now this happens. I'm going thru the state of RI  ,  to say.  How did this dealer just put inspection sticker on truck with rotted lines.  The truck has 45000 well taken care of miles.  No rot on truck at all ,even underneath. It should have never been inspected.  Owner of the big dealer ship called me ,said he would work with me.  Then said it was a 3000 dollar job.  But he will be nice and go half.  Nice guy ,huh.  So basically I'm paying whole bill if I take his offer.  I think I'll stick with State looking at truck seeing if they are wrong for inspecting it.  If so, he will have to foot bill.    Now I'm little nervous he might get pissed if hes at fault. And mess with truck somehow. It might cost me more in the long run.  People are crazy now says.  . 

The rubber flex hose goes from the frame to the calibers.
There is also one going over the rear end housing.  They allow movement between
caliper and hard line attached to the frame. Think of it like the rubber in the middle of engine mount.
They fail over time swelling when brakes are applied. Stainless is worth the extra.

So here you can see them installed. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCWESfPqR8s

Here are the ones I put on mine.. They fit stock or lifted, depending on your lift.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-672440

My small town mechanic charged me $700.  His hourly rate is around $60 or $65, much less than in many cities.

So I realize this thread is "dead", but I just found that I am in the wonderful state of replacing my brake lines. Is there nay new advice out there for someone who hasn't done this before? I want to do it myself cuzz I'm cheap but need some advice. Thanks.  :beating: :B:

There is several good threads on here.
I can't remember how much GM came out with a full replacement kit.
Seems around 500.

Less than $100 on rock auto for full kit:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2005,avalanche+1500,5.3l+v8,1430977,brake+&+wheel+hub,hydraulic+line,1820

They are not showing the SS hard lines I got but you didn't say what year your truck was so I just grabbed the one for a 2005 to see pricing. They were $150 when I bought mine.

I would strongly suggest doing all of the lines in the kit because you want to insure you are safe. Not to mention it is a pain to just replace one line without damaging the others.

I would NOT go with the copper line kit as I have never heard of copper lasting a long time as a brake line. The ones shown here are the vinyl coated ones. I believe the "Active" braking system they are talking about is if you have traction control.

Back