• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Body Control Module?

jlowe5700

I have a 2007 Avalanche with 168,000 miles. It is in great condition, and runs excellent. My problem is the Stabilitrak light is on. Let me back up this problem. For about a year, my tire pressure light would go off and on daily, said it needed service. If I checked the pressure on the dash, one tire would have no reading. It would come and go often. Figuring it was a bad wheel TPS I ignored it. So a couple weeks ago I had to change the driver side engine mount. Took it out the side wheelwell. I had to unplug the wheel speed sensor for the ABS. No big deal, until I try to drive it and now have the Stabilitrak light on. I figure I had messed up the ABS wire when I unplugged it, so I put in a new wheel hub speed sensor an wire. This did not help. The truck runs and drives good. ABS works, traction works, but the light is still on. Now the really strange thing is I no longer get Tire Pressure faults. All tire have a reading now. Do I have a bad BCM? I do not have any check engine light.

Is it only the light that comes on or does the driver information center also show a message?

I don't think there's any issue with a control module (in this case the EBCM) and more likely an issue related to a sensor. You mention you replaced the sensor but there could still be an issue with the connection point or the wiring. Use an electronics spray cleaner on the contact points? Ensure the connection is fully seated? Have you tried disconnecting the neg battery terminal for 10-15 min and then reconnect to see if that reset any "glitch" stuck in the system?

If none of these things resolves or helps track it down, I'd hate to say it but you'd have to get the system read. The stabilitrak and it's close cousin traction control warning messages are often generic error messages. There's so many sensors that are related to the system to cause it to go off. But if it wasn't there before you changed out the hub, it's a safe bet something isn't right with the sensor or it's connection in that area.

As for the TPS readings, that's very strange. The receiving is done through the same receiver as the remote control door lock so the two things should be unrelated. I will say that depending on ambient temperature they can spring back to life. They'll probably start dropping out again soon.

Wish I could offer more help...

I have tried cleaning the connectors, but have not tried to reset by unplugging the battery. I will try this and respond back. Thank you.

Tried to disconnect battery to reset. Still the same. Kept searching till I came across the info about the steering position sensor. Note: if you disconnect the steering shaft, make sure it goes back exactly as it was.

jlowe5700 said:
Note: if you disconnect the steering shaft, make sure it goes back exactly as it was.

Was that the culprit or are you still getting the message?

When I had done the engine mount, I had disconnected the steering shaft to get more room. Must have rotated the steering wheel (or one of the kids). I found a couple videos that say to tape the steering wheel from moving when you disconnect it. I am just glad the steering wheel controls still work and the coil was not damaged.

jlowe5700 said:
When I had done the engine mount, I had disconnected the steering shaft to get more room. Must have rotated the steering wheel (or one of the kids). I found a couple videos that say to tape the steering wheel from moving when you disconnect it. I am just glad the steering wheel controls still work and the coil was not damaged.

Just a little info I've used the seat belt and there is a pin you can purchase to lock
the steering wheel. Which I have now.

Thanks, I will defianatly do that with the seat belt next time. I say next time, as this was the 2nd driver side Engine Mount I had to do, plus had one on my 2011 Yukon.

jlowe5700 said:
Thanks, I will defianatly do that with the seat belt next time. I say next time, as this was the 2nd driver side Engine Mount I had to do, plus had one on my 2011 Yukon.
I've used the seat belt method before. Move your seat the whole way forward, run the SB through the wheel and then move the seat back until it's tight. Works like a charm.

Back