• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Traction control button?!?!?

Tbaker

I have the 2004 Avalanche. Z71 with the 5.3. Where is the traction control button?!? I have looked all over the intrusment cluster and dash. Thanks.

First welcome to the website!

You may find your answer in the Resources section in the 2004 AV Owners manual...I believe the Traction assist and Stabilitrack info starts around 4-9 or 4-12 in the manual....
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/assets/files/resources/model-years/owner-manuals/2004-chevy-avalanche-owners-manual.pdf

Yeah. I read all of that. It says the TC button is located to the left of my steering wheel but I swear to God I don't have a button. I have every other option available for the truck, ( sunroof, heated leather seats, adjustable pedals) so on and so forth. Why is it that I don't have a TC option? Seems weird.

Tbaker said:
I have the 2004 Avalanche. Z71 with the 5.3.
Tbaker said:
It says the TC button is located to the left of my steering wheel but I swear to God I don't have a button.
Something is amiss here if you have a 4WD Z-71 and your manual shows the button to the left of the wheel. You may have the wrong manual or one not from your AV. As far as I know, only the Z-66 models had the button to the left and it would be in place of the transfer case selector switch module like the photo. If you have 4WD AND a TC disable switch it would be located to the right of the HVAC controls as pictured and be noted on the dash layout diagram as item " S. Traction Control Button (if equipped)"

Attachments

• 04 TC.jpg
    04 TC.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 49
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 51
In my 03 Z66 the TC switch was on the right side as shown in the 2nd pic above.  There was a "cubby" in the right side position that you could stuff your wallet into.

When my son purchased the '03 Z66 that I have now, the TC button was in the glove compartment, and a large "cubby" was in the spot under the center A/C vent, to the right of the steering wheel.  It was just hanging by it's wiring harness into the glove compartment.

In my 2004 EXT, my TC button is in the same position as the one in the second picture.

On the same panel, is located the button to turn off the back up sensors on the rear bumper.

Trilo_G said:
So to be clear-

Traction Control button is only on 2 wheel drive vehicles. Z71 is a four wheel drive vehicle.

On my all wheel drive equipped 2004 EXT, the traction control is part of the so-called Stabilitrak? system.

I had to check my owner's manual to be clear, but traction control is clearly indicated on the third page of the description of how the Stabilitrak? system works.

I would suggest the owner of any 2WD or 4WD Avalanche truck check their owner's manual to see if their truck is so equipped and how to activate and/or deactivate their particular system.

You can also check your glovebox and look for the RPO code JL4 to see if your truck is equipped with the Stabilitrak? system.

Here is a Youtube where the gentleman is showing where that JL4 RPO code is located.

On the 2005 Avalanche in that video, you can see the button on the dash as he moves to show the RPO codes in the glovebox.

Out of curiosity, I checked two other GM vehicles we owned and found the front wheel drive 2012 GMC Acadia we currently own has the Stabilitrak? system while the rear wheel drive 2006 Cadillac CTS sedan we previously owned had the TC traction control system with no mention of the Stabilitrak? system. The button to turn off the TC system is in the glovebox of that car.

Back