• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where is the stock Bose woofer

Kev117

Hi Club,

I think my Bose woofer may be blown. I need to pull it out and check it. But I?m not sure where it is.

The console? Any tricks and tips on how to get to it?

Thanks.

2008 LTZ

Front end of console. I can't remember if you have to pull the whole thing of if you can access it by removing the cupholder tray.

For 2003-2006
Pull front seats, pull cup holder, pull front black insert.

You need to disconnect the harness you see when you pull the cup holder. You need to remove the two bolts at the front of the console under the black insert with the dc ports on it.
There are brackets under the front seats that hold the console in place with the front 2 bolts.

Once you have done this you can slide the console back or pull it right out. The speaker is at the front held in with 4 screws. Would be nearly impossible to pull it out without pulling the console out.

I do have spare speakers if you are near me... But too busy to ship.

Rodney

you don't want to know!!! I expected a little difficulty getting to this radio stuff but nothing like what I actually had to do to get to the harnesses ect.  It is a real beating!!!!  I ended up cracking my console a bit near the rear radio controls. You must remove the entire console starting with cup holder first then lid on console compartment.  then the rear seat radio controller must be removed. Many screws next to drivers and passenger seats near the floor also a few just below the radio with a special (short screwdriver).  It took me in all about 3 or 4 attempts and probably 5 or 6 hours.  Would it be easier now? probably. But the good thing about this is before I reinstall my console I will get a harness to bypass that lousy Bose amp. Everything is going in back including a sub. Way too much hassle to remove that console and it is poorly designed and wastes a lot of space on the front section vs the older 2003 models. I plan on replacing the radio also.  I have already replaced 3 of the speakers with low ohm infinity's praying I would not have to replace the amp and head unit.  But still had not enough power or volume. The speakers were  odd 5"  3.6 ohm in back and tiny magnets on front mid ranges and 2.1 ohm along with tweeter in the top column. The plastic sub below the console in non serviceable and will be disconnected. what a terrible design. The Bose system once in a while on a few select CDs can sound pretty good but mostly with radio and most cds not enough power and nearly non existent bass.  this is the strangest system I have ever used the bass control does nothing except at very low volumes and no matter how loud you turn the radio it has too low of an output and will never have enough volume to distort.  one of my rear door speakers were blown that it what prompted me to start this cumbersome task.  I decided to put better wire (14 gauge audio) in front speakers and still have the right one to start. I also put in dyanamat inside the doors. God forbid I ever have to remove these again to replace door lock or window motors since the dynamat will have to be cut.  why didn't Chevy put a cover on the speakers so they could be removed instead of the entire door panel?? stupid design and drivers door has about 4 plugs and wiring harnesses that must be removed (be careful).  When I get the front speakers in I need to find a hole to transfer power and ground to my new system. Wow I really hate messing with car audio. 

You make it sound much harder than it is...

These trucks, atleast the 2003-2006, are very easy to work on for the car audio. The front door is like 3 bolts, a couple plastic pieces that have to come off and the door panel slides right off. Very simple. The front speakers are easy to do too if you have an adapter or can build one. I used a dremel and cut the old blown speakers off the mounting ring and was able to reuse the outer ring. The rear doors are easier yet. I believe just two bolts. The console I already mentioned.

The center console sub is ONLY a 6" DVC sub. You can get door speakers that put out more bass. I haven't had the time but I have considered putting 6" subs in the front doors along with the front speakers I have now. Would be nice for some extra bass. I also dynamated my front doors. Although no sense to cover holes as dynamat is a sound deadener not a sound proofer. Just cut holes where the holes are and you are fine.

The center console is removed as I mentioned. You CAN replace the rear seat audio controls with a storage pocket too or other setup. I plan to use one of my old phones and incorporate it like a tablet. Phone will also provide a hotspot as well as be connected to my PC.

Rodney

Back