• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Chevy Avalanche Vibration

jamiefred

Hey Guys

I am in a major predicament right now trying to find a vibration in my truck.  I have a 2004 1500 Z71, 155k miles and at 65mph I get a deep vibration which gets worse the faster I go.  It is not in the steering wheel at all.  I have had the tires balanced twice, driveshaft removed and re balanced with new spicer joints, new cv shafts, new rear wheel bearings and new front wheel hubs, front driveshaft removed with new ujoints and balanced, new brake rotors and pads.

I tried replacing the rear driveshaft with two separate new units and it made the vibrations worse both times.  It dropped the speed down to 45mph where the vibrations were noticed instead of 65mph.

I pulled the rear tires and put the lugs back on and ran the truck on jackstands to 85mph.  It vibrated so it cannot be the tires and must be the NP246 tcase to the rear axle.

This all started when I originally pulled the rear driveshaft to have new ujoints and slip yoke put in (no vibes, just trying to get the driveline clunk removed) and that is when the vibrations started.  I had it balanced a few different times and it didn't solve the problem.  I had two different new driveshafts put in with no luck.  This makes me think axle or tcase.  What do you all recommend me looking at?  I didn't change the drive line angles at all so I don't think that is it.  I'm lost and frustrated so any help is appreciated.

Any slop in the in the T-case rear housing at the slip yoke. Or at the rear pinion? T-case
and rear housing fluids are full? Pulled the rear cover on the diff for inspection. Just some throw outs.
Not real sure on these wet clutch T-cases what would cause a vibration. Hopefully someone will come along.

have you searched at the LS Truck or the Diesel forums?

Keep us posted on your find.

Fluids are full.  No slop at the axle but a slight amount at tcase, very slight. 

jamiefred said:
Hey Guys

I am in a major predicament right now trying to find a vibration in my truck.  I have a 2004 1500 Z71, 155k miles and at 65mph I get a deep vibration which gets worse the faster I go.  It is not in the steering wheel at all.  I have had the tires balanced twice, driveshaft removed and re balanced with new spicer joints, new cv shafts, new rear wheel bearings and new front wheel hubs, front driveshaft removed with new ujoints and balanced, new brake rotors and pads.

I tried replacing the rear driveshaft with two separate new units and it made the vibrations worse both times.  It dropped the speed down to 45mph where the vibrations were noticed instead of 65mph.

I pulled the rear tires and put the lugs back on and ran the truck on jackstands to 85mph.  It vibrated so it cannot be the tires and must be the NP246 tcase to the rear axle.

This all started when I originally pulled the rear driveshaft to have new ujoints and slip yoke put in (no vibes, just trying to get the driveline clunk removed) and that is when the vibrations started.  I had it balanced a few different times and it didn't solve the problem.  I had two different new driveshafts put in with no luck.  This makes me think axle or tcase.  What do you all recommend me looking at?  I didn't change the drive line angles at all so I don't think that is it.  I'm lost and frustrated so any help is appreciated.

I know, old thread, but did you ever figure this out? I am having similar vibration issues.

Back