• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SNUGTOP pics

Ayrow

I posted this on another thread....somewhere.  Not sure where it went.
Anyway, I get approached all the time about this cap and I thought I would stick it here for anybody that is interested.
Easily, the best thing I have done for my truck.

Shortly after my OP (about 3 three years ago) I managed to find a Snugtop in a junkyard for about $300.00  (yes, you read that right).
I had to restore and modify it in several different ways since it was pretty beat up, but it is one of the best things I have ever done to this truck.  The best part is, I was able to modify it to work with the auto tailgate lock, so I don't have to deal with the twist-mechanism on the inside. 

snugtop--1.jpg

snugtop--2.jpg

snugtop--3.jpg

snugtop--4.jpg

Did you do the "boat hatch mod" inside the bed walls to regain use of your side storage bins?
Do you leave the Snugtop on all the time or remove it to haul bulky loads? If so how do you remove and store the top? (Do you need several people to help you with removal and reinstalling?)

Vaeagleav said:
Did you do the "boat hatch mod" inside the bed walls to regain use of your side storage bins?
Do you leave the Snugtop on all the time or remove it to haul bulky loads? If so how do you remove and store the top? (Do you need several people to help you with removal and reinstalling?)

I'm not sure what the "boat hatch mod is".  Please enlighten me, I'm curious.

The top stays on all the time.  I don't think you can successfully take it off and on without sacrificing waterproofing. 
It's heavy, too. It would certainly take two or more people to remove it.

There should be some old threads on this site showing the boat hatch mod and how to do it. Basically you measure the size opening you want on the inside of the AV bed side plastic and buy the corresponding boat hatch and it's frame from a nautical supply type of place. You then cut a hole to gain access to the side storage and cover with the boat hatch, That way you don't have to go through the top to gain access.
I bet you are right about sacrificing some waterproofing ability by possibly damaging the seals or warping the top if you took it on and off a lot. I have talked to some who say they use a pulley system mounted to the overhead of their garage and lift the top up to remove. Others have large family and get members to help lift on and off but then have to find some place to store the top when not on the AV. I for one don't have family members to help and I don't have a tall enough garage so those methods would not work for me.

Vaeagleav said:
There should be some old threads on this site showing the boat hatch mod and how to do it. Basically you measure the size opening you want on the inside of the AV bed side plastic and buy the corresponding boat hatch and it's frame from a nautical supply type of place. You then cut a hole to gain access to the side storage and cover with the boat hatch, That way you don't have to go through the top to gain access.
I bet you are right about sacrificing some waterproofing ability by possibly damaging the seals or warping the top if you took it on and off a lot. I have talked to some who say they use a pulley system mounted to the overhead of their garage and lift the top up to remove. Others have large family and get members to help lift on and off but then have to find some place to store the top when not on the AV. I for one don't have family members to help and I don't have a tall enough garage so those methods would not work for me.

That sounds awesome.  I never thought of trying to access from the sides.
I searched this forum and Google as well and couldn't find anything. 
If you have a link, I would love to see this.

Thanks

Try this link for info:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=152205.msg2158249#msg2158249

One thing to consider before embarking on the boat hatch mod - I have not seen one with a lockable hatch.  If you always leave the Snugtop or bed panels on you're fine.  But if you ever go bed open (Snugtop and bed panels off) your saddle bags will no longer be secure.  This is the main reason I haven't done the mod to mine.  I will oftern go with the bed exposed and don't want to risk the contents of my saddle bags.

I agree with your comments frito but I guess it's a matter of how the Snugtop is to be used or not...at times. I know from other threads that you take yours off and on often. The original poster has stated he doesn't take his off.
I look at things as the original top locks are not really that secure and could be defeated with simple tools and a determined thief anyway. As my parents used to say "locks only keep out honest people"
I did a simple Google search and found at least one locking boat hatch but it sure is expensive!
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/boss--cast-aluminum-inspection-hatch--15734544?recordNum=17
I'm sure there must be cheaper ones out there somewhere though.......

If I was securing valuables in an AV I would look at getting a console vault and not put valuables in the storage bins.
https://www.consolevault.com/

I installed these hatches a few years ago, got them at a marine surplus store in Sarasota Fl. I think they were around $25 each.  Not lockable but when the Snugtop is off the deck panels are on.

Attachments

• PSX_20181008_112047.jpg
    PSX_20181008_112047.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 35
mohler said:
I installed these hatches a few years ago, got them at a marine surplus store in Sarasota Fl. I think they were around $25 each.  Not lockable but when the Snugtop is off the deck panels are on.

I like that a lot.  Clean and useable. 

Back