• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Bang for Buck Upgrades to 2002 Z71

triaker

OK, so I was strongly considering trading in my 02 Avalanche (dark green with light gray cladding) and getting something a bit newer (like 2015 or newer) truck.  But after talking to many mechanics, they convinced me my Avalanche is probably good for another 10+ years (I only have 120k miles on it).  So my truck needs some help to make it more enjoyable.  I've upgraded the radio to a Carplay radio.  My interior is getting old and starting to rip (factory leather).  My factory mudflaps all have cracks in them from being off-road, going over curbs, etc.  Replaced once and wondering if I should go to rubber flaps to keep them intact longer.  My rear bumper cover has a crack in it from backing up to let a car get past me on a country road.

My questions:
1.  Anyone have good experience with durable mudflaps?  Where did you get them?
2.  Good ideas for repairing/replacing rear bumper cover?
3.  I need new rims.  Looking for ideas to replace boring factory rims.
4.  Installing new under bumper rear lights.  Any ideas of best place to splice?  Rear lights or maybe trailer harness?
5.  Replacing leather--who have you used and how much was it and were you satisfied?
6.  I'm also upgrading the bed lights to 8 LED spot lights. Anyone else do something like this?
7.  Other "must do" upgrades?  I'm hoping to keep this to $3k or so and hopefully the beast will run another 100k!

Thanks as always for suggestions, opinions, pictures.---JB

Most of your questions can be answered by doing a search in the mod or performance sections for each topic.
Problem you may find is the light grey cladding was only used for a couple of years so getting a color match for a bumper cover or flaps may be difficult.  You might want to consider getting an aftermarket mud flap and have the flap and cladding Line-X coated so they match. The bumper cover might be able to be epoxied together otherwise you may have a long search to find a cover in a junkyard.
Rims can be found in many locations from dealership take- offs, eBay or a website like www.tirerack.com If you plan to buy new rims you may want to get at least 17"rims or larger so you can upgrade your first generation brakes to the larger brakes second gen brakes (there is a whole thread on this conversion.) http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0
There are threads about rear facing lights and how to install when you do a search.
Since your AV is 17 years old the leather and foam underneath should be replaced at the same time since the foam is bound to have deteriorated. Members who have replaced the leather have liked www.theseatshop.com or for top quality www.katzkin.com .
You may want to inspect under your lower cladding for hidden rust in body panels under the cladding since many older cladded AVs are starting to show up signs of rust due to exposure and age. You may also want to inspect underside for rusting brake and fuel lines too.

Thanks for all the advice.  My truck hasn't been in an area where rust is an issue, so hopefully that will be the case with my truck too (he said hopefully).  I was planning on going to Les Schwab for the tires as I bought 60k truck tires and at 30k they are almost worn down and I can get 1/2 my money applied to new tires. 

Yes I agree the light gray cladding may be an issue.  I may end up just buying the stock flaps again (I keep cracking them when I jump curbs for parking on grass areas for events.

I had not heard anything about 2nd generation brakes, and will search this forum for the thread.  I like being able to stop!  :D

Sadly Katzkins does not offer options for a 2002 Avalanche, but I found leatherseats.com does offer custom replacements. I'm thinking of going 2 toned...

I'm hoping I can upgrade everything for around $3,000 total.  I also want to check the distributor and spark plug wires, pulleys, and other engine stuff.  I'm down to 12mpg now where I live and used to average nearly 14.  Also need to upgrade shocks and springs when I do the tires, and also repair all the leaking back panels.

THanks again for the advice!

You are welcome,
Just click on the link in my above post to get the thread about brake conversion. FYI it is 9 pages long but worth the read since it has photos and part numbers to help you select what works for you. Remember you can't put the larger brakes on until you get the larger rims. I see you posted on the brake thread so just take some time to look at the links for part numbers and in turn bring them to your brake shop and tell them you want brakes for a 2007 or newer AV fitted.
If you do lots of off-roading and curb hopping you may want to stay around 17" or 18" for rims and not much larger or you will have problems with harsh ride and possibly damage to the rims from lack of sidewall.  Also if you go wider that may create more resistance and weight and in turn decrease you mpg.
The AV was never known for great gas mileage due to the fact that it is a 6,000 -7,000 lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. Best thing you can do is to keep it well tuned-up and drive it like an old geezer with lots of highway driving below 70 mph and to try and avoid stop and go driving or long periods of idling.
For shocks many members like the Bilstein 5100 which comes on the Z71 AV you will find info in the suspension section.

I was wondering the same thing too.  I am original owner of 05 LS1500 (NO Clad) with 95K now original miles on it.  I keep looking at new PU trucks and even the Honda Ridgeline but NOTHING excites me like this still does.  I do want a backup camera, parking sensors, better stereo and blue tooth but I know I can add all that.  Also, It would take about $25-$30,000 + my Avalanche to get a new truck.  I'm thinking of taking it to a good mechanic to give a good overall picture of what is going on with it, especially the underside. I know I will need brakes soon and new tires and wheel, battery, radiator flush, plugs and wires and brake flush. It's what I don't see that worries me,  Rotting ground connections and wonky electronics from 14-15 year old vehicle and other assorted gremlins.  I would keep the truck and use the money I had planned for a new one and get a used C6 or C7 CORVETTE or something little and stick shift to have fun with.  Decisions Decisions.    Parking space is my primary problem...
I have never had a bit of problem with this AV.  I've only ever changed is oils  and a few sensors since 2005.

So on the plug wires you have plug on coil. You will need to make sure which coil you have.
With a tune up, have you changed out the 02?s. They can be on their way out with no codes.
They can bring the MPG down.

Bumper cover https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2002/chevrolet/avalanche_1500/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/bumper_cover.html
Others out there some say 02-06. As you know yours is light gray.

Swabi use to have a screen you could shop you vehicle and rims. You can all so look on tire rack site and look at rim & tire combos. 

Back