• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What is the best srs airbag code reader, and diagnostic scanner for a 2002

MajorStoned

Hello, i have a 2002 Avalanche 1500 4x4 with the airbag light on. I would like to track the problem down to fix it, and delete the code. What would be the best obd2 code reader to use for around $100_$150?. Preferably one the displays possible fixes, and where the problem is located. Thank you in advance.

Pretty sure it is the front impact sensor going bad. Located behind the rad support you will have to go underneath to see that yellow wiring to the sensor. There is only one front impact sensor for the year 2002. Two front impact sensors for 2003 and above. I do collision and mechanical repairs for a living.

Thank you, it probably is the front sensor. But I did put a new stereo in, new door lock/window and mirror switches in, and moved my seats all the way forward looking for old stereo remote. I think the seats are Silverado seats too (wireing looks sketchy). Just want to be sure I find the problem first time.
Considering these scanners. Foxwell NT630 Plus, Innova 3150f, icarsoft BCC ll, and Bluedriver. Anyone have any experience with these ones? Thank you.

Anything unplugged or bad wire conection on the seats will through a ABS light.  :beating:

Thank you, and yes I highly suspect the seat connectors. But I do need the scanner for other projects as well. I will most likely get the bluedriver, looks like the best way to go. Anyone have experience with the bluedriver code reader? Thank you

I have the Bluedriver, as well.

It has not been used since I purchased the scanner I listed above.

The Bluedriver did not get me where I needed to go while working out an SRS issue, so I researched and bought the Autel.

Thank you, that really helped. looking at this Autel md805. https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiDiag-Upgraded-Transmission-Diagnostic/dp/B07BXPLJ3K/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?keywords=autel+md805&qid=1555600068&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1
Anyone used one of these? Thank you

Car Gauge Pro will read/clear the codes for all the systems on a 2002.  $8.95 on Google Play + $23 for BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter on Amazon.  Recently used it to read/clear HVAC codes on my 2004.

Expect the All (OBD2 Generic) mode and GM Scan All Faults/Clear All Faults/Powertrain Modules to work on your 2002-2005 Avalanche.  Gives you a ton of GM Powertrain PIDs to monitor what is going on with the powertrain (not SIR or ABS, etc - just read/clear with these). It's use on CAN Protocol GM vehicles (2006+) is unknown to me but I assume it will work in generic mode without GM PIDs.  The rest are just unfiltered capabilities that work on other vehicles so don't complain about it - it's $8.95 software that was developed for Ford and Nissan.

It's not going to tell you what to do with the codes, so a subscription to alldatadiy.com for the factory diagnostics for your vehicle would be in order.

Bluedriver makes noises on their website about covering the other systems with the in-app upgrade, but I do not know anyone who has used it yet.  Isn't it $99 with the Bluetooth dongle.

Pretty sure the Autel hardwired scanner will do what you want, but it's $169.  for $30 I would try Car Gauge Pro and if that doesn't work for you get the Autel.  You can always throw the Bluetooth Dongle in the glovebox for emergency use and you always have your phone with you.  That's what is so great about the Bluetooth devices if they will do what you need.

I purchased a Bosch 1400 tool off of ebay for $87- they cost $249 at O'reilly-
I was able to diagnose my HHR ABS problems,  temporarily clear all the codes except for the brain box, which made me decide to sell it-
I found a nice 1997 C/K 1500 on a dealer lot that had active SRS codes, but no SRS light on the dash, so I immediately rejected it- my '02 Avalanche I bought from a private party had no issues when I scanned it.
I did notice in the reviews of the cheaper models- they often said,  "I should have bought a unit that has a battery".  So you can take the scanner inside to research the codes on the internet later- or take it to the parts store with you.

Xangryth said:
... I did notice in the reviews of the cheaper models- they often said,  "I should have bought a unit that has a battery".  So you can take the scanner inside to research the codes on the internet later- or take it to the parts store with you.

A battery in the scanner to retain the codes in memory would be a nice touch.

I seem to recall my scanner having a save feature, but I have never used it.

I have been known to use pen and paper to jot down the codes or use my phone camera to take a quick pic of the codes.

I have used my phone camera to snap a pic of my mechanic's scanner display, as well.

I have even Googled the codes from my phone while looking at the scanner display as it reads the codes.

You do what you got to do to get the job done.

(y)

Thank you all for the good info. I went with the Autel MaxiDiag 805. It does the job fine.  Got a few code related to the air bag, with a few fixable others. B0029, b0041, B0045. A loose black and white wire (seatbelt ground?) under the drivers seat, also with a orange, and solid black wire that's already (rigged) to a SS seat installed before I bought the truck. Three wires. Not sure if question can be answer here but here goes. Orange, solid black wire is already connected to the SS seat connectors, where does the black and white wire connect on the connector? The color wire, or a wire diagram of the seat would be perfect. Thank you.

MajorStoned said:
Thank you all for the good info. I went with the Autel MaxiDiag 805. It does the job fine.  Got a few code related to the air bag, with a few fixable others. B0029, b0041, B0045. A loose black and white wire (seatbelt ground?) under the drivers seat, also with a orange, and solid black wire that's already (rigged) to a SS seat installed before I bought the truck. Three wires. Not sure if question can be answer here but here goes. Orange, solid black wire is already connected to the SS seat connectors, where does the black and white wire connect on the connector? The color wire, or a wire diagram of the seat would be perfect. Thank you.
I'll see what I can look up for you if I get a chance tonight.  What is a SS seat?

Do any of those also reset TPMS?  I'm looking for a good scanner and am also ordering winter tires for my wife (Kia Soul) and daughter (Chevy Spark). Both have TPMS and I would prefer to get a single unit that does it all vs. a scanner and a separate TPMS reset tool.

Mine does not, AFAIK.

Back