• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding JL Audio Powered Sub to 2012 Avalanche w/Bose

Kdog22

Hello, apologies in advance if this specific question has been asked and covered already, I did do a lot of searching before creating a new thread.

I've been doing a fair amount of research lately on adding a powered subwoofer to my Avalanche with the factory BOSE system. I plan to purchase a JL audio 8" powered "micro sub" with the built in amp and install myself. I'm not new to car audio, but I'm far for a tech expert or pro installer..

Since this model has high level inputs, I plan to utilize this option for connecting to the factory radio, rather than purchasing a line out converter (which then of course seems un-necessary). With that said, I've read that folks have tied into the factory radio at different locations to accomplish this. Behind the factory radio, before the factory amp/sub under the center console, at a rear deck speaker..

My main question is where is the best place to tie into the factory system and why? My default would be to try tapping into the wiring before the factory amp/sub under the center console since that signal shouldn't be crossed over already, and the JL audio sub/amp unit would crossover the signal as it's designed. I've talked with crutchfield tech support and I've got two different answers. Maybe that's because there are two legit options to do this, but I'd like to ask the Avalanche experts here for advice.  :wave:

Here's the JL audio unit I want to install:

JL Audio ACP108LG-W3v3

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Kdog,
I don't have the Bose system but I did install a pair of Kicker powered subs under the back seat of my Av. They sound great & don't effect the way the seat & midgate fold down at all. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the JBL at all.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 36753850294_fc32abd495_o.jpg
    36753850294_fc32abd495_o.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 29
AirJunky said:
Hi Kdog,
I don't have the Bose system but I did install a pair of Kicker powered subs under the back seat of my Av. They sound great & don't effect the way the seat & midgate fold down at all. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the JBL at all.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you! I was looking at those Kickers as well. My understanding is i can tie in at a few different places and i'm sure it'll make bass either way. But i'm not sure what the best place to tie-in is going to be..

For the 2003-2006 Avalanches you have to use a line level convertor...

You have 3 different places you can grab the audio from. All 3 places will be amplified.
You can grab from the back of the radio... There are PAC adapters to allow you to do this easily. (Also includes the Line level convertor and gives you RCA outputs.. These ARE available for newer trucks as well.)
You can grab from the output of the Amplifier... If you grab from the Sub output you will have the BOSE crossover point.  The other option is to pull from one of the speaker outputs other than the Sub and use your own crossover.

The Audio Control LC2i is your best bet to give you the most control of your sub when used with an amplified output. I actually have an LC8i I am using with my '03.

I will assume the 2012 is similar even if not exactly the same. Someone that has done this should be able to chime in but I would be surprised if you have actual line outs on your factory deck.

redheadedrod said:
For the 2003-2006 Avalanches you have to use a line level convertor...

You have 3 different places you can grab the audio from. All 3 places will be amplified.
You can grab from the back of the radio... There are PAC adapters to allow you to do this easily. (Also includes the Line level convertor and gives you RCA outputs.. These ARE available for newer trucks as well.)
You can grab from the output of the Amplifier... If you grab from the Sub output you will have the BOSE crossover point.  The other option is to pull from one of the speaker outputs other than the Sub and use your own crossover.

The Audio Control LC2i is your best bet to give you the most control of your sub when used with an amplified output. I actually have an LC8i I am using with my '03.

I will assume the 2012 is similar even if not exactly the same. Someone that has done this should be able to chime in but I would be surprised if you have actual line outs on your factory deck.

Thank you for the info - I'd wonder if there's any difference in sound quality between either of the options, if i'm only planning to use the JL audio built in crossover / high level inputs?

I've looked up the LC2i for that very reason as well. I'm curious if guys have had good results just using hi-level inputs on amps, instead of running a converter like this one?

Back