• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2011 LT with higher mileage or 2010 LT with visible wear

jmoffett

I'm trying to decide between two Avalanches (will be my first Avalanche).

2011 LT private party deal with all the options I care about (no Nav or DVD) and 169k miles. It's not perfect, but in very good cosmetic condition, including the center dash buttons for radio and climate control. It has the K5L towing package and 3.42 gears. It has the body-colored sail panels, which I think I would like because they woudn't fade like some of the black plastic ones I've seen. I'm not too worried about the miles, as I am selling a 2010 75th Anniversary Suburban with the same mileage. I'm not selling it because of the miles...it just doesn't suit my needs anymore.

2010 LTZ at a small car lot with the same relevant options and 147k miles. It's also in very good cosmetic condition with the exception of the center dash buttons, which drives me crazy. I would rather have a scratch in the paint that for the graphics to be worn off the buttons. It has black plastic sail panels and the 4 Hi-only transfer case, so I assume 3.08 gears.

Both are $13,500 with color options I like. I occasionally tow a 14-foot utility trailer, but it won't hold enough weight to exceed the towing capacity of either vehicle. I would appreciate any input on these two possibilities.

First welcome to the website!
To decide if a used vehicle is a good deal you need more info on things like maintenance history, accident damage or flooding etc. Also for a more direct comparision it would help to have info of all options from the glovebox door stickers.
Then try sites like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com for market pricing in your area.
Good luck in your search.

Vaeagleav said:
First welcome to the website!
To decide if a used vehicle is a good deal you need more info on things like maintenance history, accident damage or flooding etc. Also for a more direct comparision it would help to have info of all options from the glovebox door stickers.
Then try sites like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com for market pricing in your area.
Good luck in your search.

I guess to simplify, everything else being equal, would you rather have a 1 year newer vehicle with 22k more miles, or the 1 year older vehicle with 22k more miles?

Just my .02 but I would not fixate on the mileage or one year age difference. From reading your first post it appears that you are leaning towards the 2011 AV.
Just some food for thought, if you plan to haul lots of stuff in the bed of the AV the painted upper cladding could get scratched and need frequent touch ups v. the rough standard cladding. Then the towing gear ratio may cost you a little in gas mileage too.
With roughly 150,000 miles on the  two you should have plenty of life left on either Av assuming they haven't been neglected or abused. There may be some normal wear and tear maintenance need on both AVs. You will find many threads about high mileage "clubs" on this site and it shows there are many older AVs with 200,000 or 300,000 + miles on them. There are even some 2002 AVs still around to show how they can last if properly maintained.

Back