• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power steering loss at low speeds, when finding a parking spot.

oharaja2250

This might be posted in another post that I did not see earlier, so bear with me.  2008 LTZ with 175k, noticing that it was hard to steer into a spot yesterday.  Like sudden powerloss from power steering.  It was in 2wd when it happened.  I put in 4wd no change.  When you give it a bit of gas it seems to "bump" or in my wifes case not move at all.  At speed it handles turns and curves just fine, its only when braking at parking lot speed and turning is this an issue.

PS fliud nice and clean very light color.  No leaks, tire pressure is 32 on all 4 stock tires.

I have seen older models with a faulty pressure control valve that causes this but nothing specific for 08's.  I dont like changing out parts for nothing.  So I ask if anyone has had this issue and how did you resolve it?

*Edit, after about an hour of driving found that the issue presents itself in 4WD only, my wife didn't realize it was in 4wd.

That's normal when you lock in the front axle.  Even when in "auto".  Select 2WD when you don't need the traction.

remember the brake booster is also powered by PS pump....

so if you are applying brakes it can rob hydraulic power from steering...

seems might be some more threads about this in this section...goesback to when they started this which I think was mid 2003.

Thank you for your replies,  I figured it was with 4wd being engaged.  That was the cause, when I moved it off of auto and into 2wd, it returned to normal steering. 

Back