• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

what PCV valve is right? '02 z71 5.3

AZIROC

So I was bored today and said screw it I'm going to clean the T/B and throw a new PCV valve in.  The PCV was, I'm guessing, the factory 1.  Anywho, it was completely hollow with a little hole at the bottom.  I went to the parts store and got a new 1... and it rattles, like they are suppose to.  I installed it back havent driven anywhere.  But after looking it up online, idk if I should have the hollow 1 in or the 1 that rattles.  Does anyone know? 

Well of course I went off to Google after this and figures out the hollow 1 is the "newer" style corrected by GM, GM P/N 12572717. 

The parts store was surprised that it was hollow and thought it would "choke" the engine.  When I told them the old "rattle" version actually caused more oil consumption and positive case pressure, they said they will have to look at their trucks pcv when they get off work.

Back