• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stuck hinge pin bushing

spidey

So my driver side soor has been a little tougher to close lately, and there is a creak from the hinge.  Looking closer the hinge pin bushing at the top of the lower hinge is stuck.  It rotate like the others.  It moves a little, but not enough.

How hard are these to replace and are there instructions anywhere how to do this.  Would I Need an entire new hinge or just the pin and bushing.  Removal looks very interesting

I have a 2012 LT model

Soak it in WD40 or some other penetrant once a day for a week and it'll likely open it up.

If you're impatient like me, spray WD40 then with a flat head screw driver, very carefully pry the roller bushing upwards about 1/8", soak it in WD40 again, and then pry it back down. The roller floats on the pin, you'll find that if you keep spraying and moving the roller up and down it will start to break free. You'll be surprised how much black crud comes out. Once it's moving up and down try to open and close the door to get it to spin again. Soak and maneuver the roller until you're back in business. Use some silicone spray or something to lubricate the roller after you're done.

I would do like above post and try cleaning and lubing the area first before replacement. You can make it a one step process by using a product like Break Free which is used to clean and lubricate guns (including machine guns). Otherwise if you use WD40 make sure you don't skip the lube step. I'm sure GM has some form of door grease to put on the pin if it can be reached easily. In the old days we also used graphite when we wanted to lube something dry so it would not attract dirt.

I found some of my GM lubriplate lubricant I bought for my minivan 18 years ago.  It comes out as white goop instead of spray.  I put it on there and let it sit over night, it must of soaked in and down as the roller is having no issues at all no.  I usually spray all my hinges and pins yearly, but with a recent move and stuff all packed away, my usual truck stuff has gone the way side

Back