• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Intermittent Brake Light issue

Scrambler87

Hey guys,

I am at a complete loss on the issue my 02 Avalanche is throwing at me this week. I got told my rear driver side brake light was out. I swung into Napa shortly after replaced the bulb. A couple days later got told again it was out. Get home had my nephew step on it while I checked it. Was working fine...yesterday my Mom borrows it to run to the dump and was told rear passenger side is out. I had her step on it when she got back to my place was working fine. I said screw it and went down and got a new brake switch and today I got stopped by state patrol telling me I had a brake light out. The only thing I can think of is my trailer brake controller is causing this issue. It is not just isolated to one side or the other. In the past I have heard the controller clicking but didn?t think much of it.

Has anyone had similar issues? I am about to pull the controller out but don?t want to till I know for a fact it is the issue.

Thanks

If I recall correctly there is a good sized wiring junction box somewhere under the truck around the rear passenger brake light.

I seem to remember other members finding a lot of corrosion on the connections inside that junction box.

Might be worth looking into that.

EXT4ME said:
If I recall correctly there is a good sized wiring junction box somewhere under the truck around the rear passenger brake light.

I seem to remember other members finding a lot of corrosion on the connections inside that junction box.

Might be worth looking into that.
I will take a peak there tonight, I am gonna park it till this is resolved and drive the Jeep don?t need any hassle from law enforcement lol

Yea you likely need to replace that unit. In my '03 it is mounted on the passenger side rail of the frame about 2' in front of the rear bumper. All of the rear lighting goes through that box and is generally the cause of many issues in the rear lighting. Your trailer wiring is actually separate from your tail lights and not associated with it.

Rodney

Back