• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2005 - Too much rust?

bigD1031

Hello all,

I am looking at getting back into an avalanche (will be my 3rd) and I went and looked at one today that I think might have too many issues, namely rust.  Anyone care to give me their 2 cents based on the attached pictures?  It is unfortunate as the truck has 92k, engine and transmission are solid, and the interior is in pretty good condition.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

D

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 30
Just looks like rust. Not rot.  Rust is easy to take care of if you have the time an ambition.  Lots of scraping and painting. 

The one pic that concerns me is the one at the luggage rack.  I think it depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

frito said:
The one pic that concerns me is the one at the luggage rack.  I think it depends on how much effort you want to put into it.
and the price of buying it..

Low ball them... so you have money left over to get it painted and body work fixed.

and maybe frame painted with that rust eating paint stuff

Thanks for the insight. 

What would you guys offer for it with the assumption it will have to be painted and some body work done?  (Attached are a couple more pics).  Maybe 2-3k?  If it was just the body I would be all for having it corrected and painted but the chassis is what really has me concerned.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 9
Asking for an estimate with the limited info provided could be just a guess on anyone's part. The pictures help but we don't know the maintenance/accident/flooding history of the AV. You may come closer on a market price if you use a site like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com and input as much info you can to get a price based on your zip code, the features and condition of the specific AV.

bigD1031 said:
Thanks for the insight. 

What would you guys offer for it with the assumption it will have to be painted and some body work done?  (Attached are a couple more pics).  Maybe 2-3k?  If it was just the body I would be all for having it corrected and painted but the chassis is what really has me concerned.

Thanks again.
I paid 10K even for my 2004 in 2016.  It was admittedly at retail price and had more miles on it than yours - but always had been licensed since new in West Central Georgia.  Absolutely spotless rust-free body and undercarriage - that's what I wanted.  I went South and away from the coast and desert because it seemed no one would give me a discount for rust up here in Northern Indiana.  Figured it would last 15+ years here before starting to rust, after getting the Krown rustproofing each year.  Flew into Atlanta on a one-way ticket with a list of vehicles to look at in the inner tip of South Carolina (around Greeneville).  Carfax is a great resource for where a car has been.  2-3K sounds very low for anything that isn't junk.  If you can buy a decent looking one for that, I say go for it.  They aren't cheap vehicles.  That one may or may not have been repainted.  p.s. look carefully at the rear door jambs with the doors open for rust repairs.  The plastic trim (not full cladding) over my wheel wells is exactly the same material as the bed cover (black).  Has yours been painted white, or is that a 2005 thing?

Thanks everyone for the comments/thoughts.  I am leaning towards passing on it.  I don't mind doing some work but I have a feeling this will be an never ending process.

That sounds like a good idea, once rust starts you have to get after it. But there are some good products to help.

I've never seen rust on the roof like that, the frame looks like surface rust and is easy to deal with.

Back