• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche failed Emissions in california but because of sticker?

acedown13

I've got an 02 5.3 Z71 with way too many miles to count. I purchased it in Florida about 7 years ago and it's been in California about 6.5
I went to get it smogged today but the place i normally take my cars too was having issues so i went to a place down the road. I ended up failing but not because of emissions.
The guy said that i was missing my emissions sticker from my original air box. When i purchased it i changed out the air intake to a K&N filter system, i did keep the sticker from the new filter and put it on the truck but apparently i have to have the original emissions sticker. The guy said that since i didn't have the sticker he looked up in 2 books he had the make and model and it said i needed an ERG Valve which i've never heard of. Told me to go to the chevy dealership which i did and order a new emission sticker which i did for 40 bucks. Said once i get that it will show if i need the ERG valve and if i do i'll need to install that before it passes smog. I've gotten the truck smogged here 3 times already and have never heard of this?! I ended up paying 48 for the smog today, 39 for the emissions sticker which i have to wait 2 weeks to get then i'll have to pay for a retest.
If he looked it up in his 2 books and it showed that the make and model i have needs the valve , is that ALL Chevy avalanches that have to have them or are ones from out of state ok and will show that it doesn't need it on the emissions sticker. I just figured that if they all needed it, it would already have the ERG valve.

I will be interested in how this turns out for you.

I live in a state that does not have smog testing anymore.

I Googled "2002 Chevrolet Avalanche EGR valve" and the results show the part available from most auto parts stores.

It's kinda pricey.

There were also other hits where the location and other issues with the EGR were discussed, even with links to this very forum.

I am wondering if the EGR valve is something that is only on California engines.

Next time I have the plastic covers off of my engine, I have to remember to have a look.

I do not specifically recall ever having seen one on my engine, but I have never really had a reason to look, either.

Best of luck with your resolution of the issue.

Only those made roughly before MAY 2001 might need EGR....and have actual throttle pedals and throttle cables NO DRIVE BY WIRE.

Around June 2001 they went to drive by wire and EGR was no longer needed.

Back