• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How much did you pay...

carnut

PM 2018
...To have your oil pick up o-ring replaced. 

So I just bought a 2010 4wd LTZ with just under 60k miles. I knew the oil pressure was a bit low before I looked at it, and while it's ok for now, I want to be proactive about the pressure. On start up its about 40 psi cold at idle, but will drop down to about 20 psi when hot at idle not moving. Sometimes its at 30, and if I am cruising on the interstate, it can get to about 30-35 psi. Haven't seen it below 20 psi. Yet.

While I could do the job myself, I'm getting a bit old (and heavy) to easily complete it. So I'm thinking about paying to get it done. So how much did it cost and what type of shop did the fix?

BTW, still have the '02 with 303k miles on it. It'll be my winter rat. But that's another question.

Sorry, I looked but I do not have the cost of when I had my o-ring replaced.

However, I know there is a bit more labor on a 4WD than a 2WD because the front diff has to be dropped and moved enough for the oil pan to be removed.

My mechanic is an old school GM dealer mechanic and he has done enough of those to know some of the tricks.

He dropped my front diff and secured it out of the way instead of totally removing the thing.

The cross member will have to be removed.

My mechanic had the entire job, start to finish, done in less than four hours and that was with me in the shop visiting the entire time.

If I had not been there, he probably could had got it done a little quicker.

I also chose to have the entire oil pick up tube with included o-ring assembly installed because it is not very expensive and I had read some discussions about it being important to get the correct o-ring.

With the assembly, there was no question that we had the correct ring.

EXT4ME said:
Sorry, I looked but I do not have the cost of when I had my o-ring replaced.

However, I know there is a bit more labor on a 4WD than a 2WD because the front diff has to be dropped and moved enough for the oil pan to be removed.

My mechanic is an old school GM dealer mechanic and he has done enough of those to know some of the tricks.

He dropped my front diff and secured it out of the way instead of totally removing the thing.

The cross member will have to be removed.

My mechanic had the entire job, start to finish, done in less than four hours and that was with me in the shop visiting the entire time.

If I had not been there, he probably could had got it done a little quicker.

I also chose to have the entire oil pick up tube with included o-ring assembly installed because it is not very expensive and I had read some discussions about it being important to get the correct o-ring.

With the assembly, there was no question that we had the correct ring.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it would be a good idea to swap the tube to just to be safe. I'll add that to the list.

Back