• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Order of disassembly

dna9656

To you all that have dropped the oil pan for what ever reason I d like your input on how to progress.

My thinking is this:

1.  Disconnect the battery,

2.  Drain the coolant, remove radiator.

3.  Remove the water pump. Clean gasket area.

4.  Remove timing chain cover, sprockets and chain. Clean gasket area.

5.  Get the truck up on jack stands

6.  Drain the motor oil, remove the filter.

7.  Remove tires and wheels. Do I remove the calipers from the knuckle so I don't have to remove the rubber brake lines from the calipers?

8.  Remove serpentine belt, remove harmonic balancer.

9.  Move the axle, does anyone have any tips or know of something I should watch for, parts easily broken/lost etc...

10.  Drop the oil pan. Clean the engine side of the gasket area and the oil pan.

11.  Remove the oil pump and pickup tube.

12.  Install the timing chain and sprockets, install the timing chain cover

13.  Install the water pump.

14.  Install the oil pump and pick up tube.

15.  Install the oil pan.

16.  Install the axle, brake calipers

17.  Install the tires/wheels.

18.  Get the truck off the jack stands

19.  Install radiator, with new upper/lower and heater hoses.

20.  Replace serpentine belt.

21.  Add engine oil and anti-freeze.

22.  Connect charged up battery.

23.  Start it up and check for leaks.

24. Assuming no leaks lead a happy life.

I will be taking lots of pictures for my own use ansd will post them as i go through this. If any one has picture of this job it would be nice to see them!

Doug

I haven't dropped the pan but step 0 power off the HVAC Radio and close the sunroof if you have one before disconnecting the battery

Looks like a fun time to me.

You may want to move install the oil pump a little higher in the list.

(y)

I would suggest loosening the axle bolts before you lift the truck. You will find them suckers to be really on there... I had to use a big wrench to get mine off... Like  a 3' long 1" socket ratchet with torque multiplier. And bolt was not locktited on. Might have been able to do same thing with some heat but regardless.. You want those bolts atleast lose before you lift your truck...

redheadedrod said:
I would suggest loosening the axle bolts before you lift the truck. You will find them suckers to be really on there... I had to use a big wrench to get mine off... Like  a 3' long 1" socket ratchet with torque multiplier. And bolt was not locktited on. Might have been able to do same thing with some heat but regardless.. You want those bolts atleast lose before you lift your truck...
Impact wrench.  There is no substitute for an impact wrench.  By far and away, the single best tool purchase I've ever made.  (Queue the Tim Allen noises)

EXT4ME said:
You may want to move install the oil pump a little higher in the list.

(y)

Can you give me more info on why please? Are you talking about the axle tube (housing) to frame bolts? I know the hub nut should be loosened prior to lifting the vehicle.

frito said:
Impact wrench.  There is no substitute for an impact wrench.  By far and away, the single best tool purchase I've ever made.  (Queue the Tim Allen noises)

I have a Haynes Repair Manual,1999 through 2006 Silverado/Sierra book that covers the 2002- 2006 Avalanche.

What exactly needs to be moved out of the way; to get that oil pan removed, JUST the right side axle assembly?

The book talks about plastic covers on the tranny where the block and tranny comes together. It says that the starter has to come off and the

exhaust "Y" pipe has to be dropped out of the way, the anti roll bar has to come out too. Has anybody done all this to get the oil pan out or is this just

factory instruction overkill?

Section 21 tells how to get the half shaft out, There is section 24 titled "Right axle shaft, tube, bearing and shift fork (4WD and AWD models)-

Removal, Component Replacement and Installation." It tells how to get the outer tube off but goes on to disassembling the insides of the tube.

I'm looking for some confirmation and some back yard wizardry (do abc this way because of xyz and that's easier than the"book way") kind of stuff that

only some one that's actually DONE this job would know about.

MS03 2500 said:
I haven't dropped the pan but step 0 power off the HVAC Radio and close the sunroof if you have one before disconnecting the battery

Looks like a fun time to me.

If you live in the area you're welcome to come join in the fun!

dna9656 said:
If you live in the area you're welcome to come join in the fun!

Let me think about it Humm I don't think so.

However my Grand Niece just got her new job up there so I will be up that way maybe next year sometime.

frito said:

Used a 1/2" Impact... Didn't touch it...  Nothing worked for me until I used the 3' ratchet. The Impact did work on the other side however...

Back