• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

06 Av no response to throttle

marmitage

I have a 06 1500 5.3 avalanche. It is acting weird, 85% of the time it runs and drives fine. The other 15% it does not respond to the throttle. It will not rev the engine the truck does not move at all. Usually this happens from a stop. It may idle  and roll at 5 mph but no pedal response.Thought it was the throttle position sensor, but found out this is a drive by wire unit so I replaced the Accelerator pedal sensor, after having the transmission professionally inspected. The scan of the transmission revealed nothing, everything is in good shape. Did replace the left front brake caliper and have it tuned up since it was there. While the vehicle is trying to move there is a growling grinding sound from the behind the transfer case selection switch that stops when the trucks starts moving normally.Suggestions on where to go next. Am I looking at the selector switch? the transfer case shift motor?  Any help is appreciated.

Is the check engine light on and the display say Reduced Engine Power

Off the top of my head that noise you are hearing is the abs going off and it reducing engine power.

DON'T JUST THROW PARTS AT, get your abs codes read.
Most auto parts store will read them for you.

NO ABS light or codes, there is no acceleration in the engine it is not  pulling against the brakes, it just does not respond. Engine idles while this happening just fine.  There is just no response to the pedal until I bump the gear selector into neutral and back down or sometimes a hard brake pump will do it. Usually from a stop about 15% of the time it happens

How/where did you have the ABS codes scanned? If no codes are stored, can it be read while the issue occurs and see what the live stream data is telling you? The traction control light points in the ABS system direction.

Wheel bearings/hubs have growling noise or play?

No ABS codes found. Gave up and replaced both front wheel bearings (no noise or problems). Believe i must have had a bad ABS speed sensor . Since replacing have no issues.

marmitage said:
No ABS codes found. Gave up and replaced both front wheel bearings (no noise or problems). Believe i must have had a bad ABS speed sensor . Since replacing have no issues.
Glad it's fixed!

Back