• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Air intake hose rubbing on serpentine belt

ta6point6

Anyone have this problem? I noticed the other day that the plastic OE intake hose almost rubbed all the way through. It was one of the baffles that was hanging down that rubbed on the belt. I just took a dremel and cut baffle off and used tape to keep it sealed. I am not sure why this happened since it was the stock plastic hose. I am thinking of just getting a cold air intake. Anyone have an idea why this would happen?

Likely someone didn't align it up properly when the intake was put back on or someone when working on the truck had the intake off and had it running. Should not normally rub. That piece is just a Resonator to absorb some of the noise coming off the intake.

If you decide to go with a cold air intake make sure the tube is plastic, rubber or ceramic coated. The "CAI" is a bad name for it because unless it is one of those three it will actually heat up your intake air. Steel is worse than Aluminum. The only benefit from a stock truck from a CAI is a louder intake. Unless you have done something to increase the power, there is no other benefit from them.

Rodney

Okay thanks it just seems like it sagged and starting rubbing serpentine belt on that baffle. I am glad I caught it before it started throwing debris into the actual intake runners. I think I am going to replace damaged intake hose with a Air Raid tube. It is 160 but has a more direct path for air to flow and should not rub on anything. The baffles are just there to give a little more of a aggressive sound correct? I think the 6.0 has plenty of grunt though. Thanks for the reply
airaid-fuel-systems-air-200-996-64_1000.jpg

Resonators are there to quiet it down at specific frequency ranges. Removing it will make your intake sound different. Likely more loud as well.

FYI for anyone who is thinking of putting a Air Raid intake hose on Avalanche. The fitment was great and sound is a nice throaty sound from engine. I like that I can keep stock filter box and do away with the tubing hanging out of OE hose.

Back