• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 LT Z71 Performance Increase

DOGZ

got a 13 LT Z71, K&N cold air intake, just put a corsa sport exhaust on, have a ranger plug in to keep in V8 mode. Looking for alil more pep in the step. Throttle response is ok, seems to rev & shift now at higher rpm (longer time before shifts). Notice alil clucky, (not all the time) from driveshaft maybe when backing down. gas is round 14.1 - 15.8 mpg depends on how much highway driving. short highway ride to & from work everyday less than 20 miles. Just looking to maybe chip it or get a tuner. Any recommendations out there from you all that have done this? Dealer serviced, pretty sure i voided their drivetrain coverage, with the CAI & exhaust. Wondering if a tuner is a DIY or take it to someone who does this for a living type of thing?

Everyone is looking for performance this month!
Hey DOGZ. Tuners come with 'canned tunes' that are good, but a custom tune may ultimately be better because it is specific to your Av's characteristics. Check out Diablewtune and Black Bear Performance for examples of custom tuning. You may also have a local performance shop that can do similar work. 

Personally, I'd start with a DiabloSport 8245 tuner, refurbished version is going for $211 at the moment on ebay.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFB-DiabloSport-8245-Intune-I3-Platinum-Programmer-for-Silverado-Sierra-Colorado/263421611740  You could then sell the Ranger plug on ebay and recoup part of your cost, because the tuner can program out AFM/DOD.

Then if/when you want more get a custom tune for an additional $150 https://www.diablewtune.com/ . You'll need the 8245 anyway to log data, send to the guy doing the tuning, then he'll send you back a tune that you load onto the Diablo tuner and then tune the truck.

I may just be attempting to live vicariously through others because I really want to do this myself, but if you're looking for a bigger performance improvement consider upgrading camshafts! This plus a custom tune will likely net you over 40HP.  https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1158-tsp-low-lift-cam-package-with-ls6-valve-springs.aspx

With all that said, you might want to focus on what is 'clucky' with your current setup before you start modding further. With the little you've said, check your transmission fluid level and u-joints. Good luck and let us know what else we can answer!

You also need to consider that the last couple of years in the AVs life it had more gears in the transmission and it was geared for better gas economy not performance. As been said many times over the years of this website, the AV is not a good starting point as a performance vehicle but it can be improved upon slightly. It is a very heavy vehicle with bad aerodynamics.
It all boils down into what type of performance do you want and how much can you afford?
Many members when it comes down to it aren't looking for maximum HP at high rpms for bragging rights they actually want more torque in lower rpm ranges to give them more oomph off the line or in the lower driving rpm range for everyday use whether it's freeway on-ramps or in towing etc. 
That is where something like a Magnuson supercharger has worked out greatly for many members on this site.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

You mentioned the warranty as possibly being voided, is you 2013 still covered since it's 6+ years old now? FYI from looking at the supercharger site they do make a model for your AV and I think it comes with a tuner and also a 3 year drive-train warranty included.

Vaeagleav your solution wins hand down. Supercharge it DOGZ! That $7k bill is a stretch for me, but maybe DOGZ is ready to rock!

Thanks guys, not lookin to supercharge it, ha ha ha.

But will look into those tuners.

What did you end up doing Dogz? The 2013 LTZ I bought with the 3.08 gears and six-speed is definitely much more sluggish and less responsive than my 2006 Z71 with 3.42, HD tow package, four-speed tranny, Snugtop, and bedslide.

When I put the pedal to the floor on this Av on an onramp I am definitely not getting the response I am used to. Also, even when I am on smaller hills this thing really struggles and constantly hunts for gears. I can't believe the difference...her little Equinox with 300 horses has much more get up and go than the 2013.

I added the Corsa exhaust and it sounds less like a family car now, but that did not make much of a difference in performance. In the process of installing the K&N now...just had to get a 5/8 drill bit to finish the job. 

To be honest, I am nervous about retuning my engine, so I thought I might install the Jet Stage 1 module (which just snaps into the ECM, similar to the Hypertech chip I had in my car years ago). However, those have a lot of negative publicity.

Tom

If you?re looking to spend less than $500, start with a tune. The shift points alone will make a huge difference. When I first got my 2010 in 2019,I had to use tow/haul mode whenever I wanted to merge into fast traffic to get a similar experience to my old 5.4 ford.

Back