• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Torque specs for various bolts

EXT4ME

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
I am in the process of gathering the parts, tools and supplies I am going to need for some suspension and brake repairs and refreshing.

While researching the correct torque specs for all of the bolts, I am finding a wide variety of torque values for some of the bolts and consistency for others.

I have the four volume set of official GM service manuals, but I found some of their torque specs, especially for brake caliper mounting bolts to be very much higher than everything else I am finding out on the Internet.

I have seen many videos, some from parts stores and others by mechanic shops and shade tree guys and a lot of those values vary greatly.

I am trying to come up with actual workable numbers.

I own several torque wrenches, the biggest one goes all the way up to 250 lb ft.

I do not have a torque selectable impact wrench and the impact wrench I do have would be better suited to removing things than for torquing bolts to proper values. 

I will be replacing the front and rear brake pads and rotors, both CV axle shafts and front wheel bearing hubs.

Before I start these projects I would like to be more comfortable with the actual torque spec values I need to be using, and not just someone's opinion or how many ugga-duggas have worked for someone in the past.

I am having a hard time finding a printable chart that has the values I am seeking.

If anyone has a link to something like that, I would greatly appreciate you sharing that with me.

I want to get everything torqued down correctly to avoid breaking something and causing more work and also to make sure I am doing the repairs correctly and safely.

I am having to replace some of these parts because I am beginning to believe that a previous mechanic I used had just jammed the bolts he was working on down with an impact wrench as tight as they would go and called it a day.

So, I now have enough miles on these parts to feel OK in replacing them with new and I want to be confident of my work.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Back