• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 WBH key fobs not working.

Gurba

What are the most common reasons for key fobs not working? Have two not working. I have cleaned the inside, replaced battery and tried to reconnect. Car did not respond to key fob presses.

I have ordered new casings.

Have you tried reprogramming them after you replaced the battery?

Shouldn't of had to.

Thanks for answering.

Yes. First I cleaned, nothing. Then I replaced battery, nothing. Then I tried to reprogram but the car didn't respond to the presses on the fob. Is there a remote module in the car that might need replacing?

If memory serves, the Passenger Door Module PDM is the interface for the keyless entry system.

I think I would first buy a single new remote off of eBay and try to program that before I went to the expense of replacing a PDM.

If that works, just buy as many (up to 4 total) new remotes and program them.

You have to reprogram the remotes all in one session.

When you reprogram a remote, all previous remotes are forgotten.

If your truck has driver setting presets, when you program the new remotes, the first and third remote you program will be for Driver 1 and the second and fourth remotes will be for Driver 2 presets.

The driver presets that are selected are determined by which remote you use to unlock the doors.

If your truck does not have driver presets, then disregard.

BTW, a dealer will have a remote testing device that can tell you if the remote fob is working correctly.

Just go up to a service writer and have them test your remotes.

Thanks for the reply. I will try the new casing first. If that doesn't work I will try a new remote etc. A YouTube video says the module for receiving is situated behind the radio. Can somebody confirm this?

The PDM is the receiver for the keyless entry remote signal.

It is located in the passenger door.

At least, that has always been my understanding.

Is it a separate module or included in the windows switch panel? The panel on my car is broken. New is in the mail.

Decided to give the reprogramming another go and for some mysterious reason one of the key fobs got programmed so I guess the receiver works. Will try to reprogram again when i have new shells. Thanks for all the help. :)

Back