• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Programmer's Needed?? because of AFM?

Inferno Mike

I own a beautiful 2009LTZ 48000 ORIGINAL MILES .I was told the Avalanches were bad about blowing motors,because of factory settings and I would need to get a programmers to prevent it.Any truth to this

I think they are referring to oil consumption due to the AFM (cylinder deactivation) on the trucks. Causes valve seal issues.  You can buy add on units that plug in to the OBD2 port that will defeat it and let the engine run in 8cyl mode all the time to stop those problems.  Effects on MPG vary on how you drive.

I would not do anything to it, the AFM issues were on the 07-08.

True, but with my 2010 ltz i do not care for the feeling of the drive train going back and forth from switching to and from AFM (don't like the lugging effect).  My plug in unit I got from Range Technology and it works great, no "lugging" on interstate or city.  Fuel mileage is almost not noticeable.

The only thing you need to do if you have emissions testing on your state is to unplug the unit and drive for around five days so the brain wakes up and recognizes the 4 cylinder mode, otherwise some readings on the test will indicate "not ready" and you'll have to come back.  Happened to me the first time,unplugged and drove for five days in various conditions and passed with no problems.

Just my food for thought.

Unplugged mine just as I arrived at the emission station, and it still passed with no problems.  (y) On the other hand, I replaced my battery just before emissions and it showed up not ready. Just drove it for about 20 miles, and all good after that.

Or move to state without emission testing....

Back