• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My next project ... replace the AWD (All Wheel Drive) front differential.

EXT4ME

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
I have been reading my GM shop manuals, doing research on line, gathering parts, tools, specs and nerve to get ready for my next DIY project.

A critical part for this project arrived today.

AWD_Front_Drive_Axle_Assembly.jpg

I will most likely be tackling this project on my own, as always.

So, any insight or tips will be considered and appreciated.

It will be a few days before I attempt this.

Wish me luck.

(y)

ygmn said:

I had the current front differential rebuilt almost 100K miles ago.

It is beginning to make those same noises again, just as it had before the last rebuild.

My long time, trusted mechanic has just recently retired and has closed his shop.

I have not yet gone looking for a new mechanic.

After I successfully performed the replacement of the front wheel bearing hubs, CV axle shafts and front rotors and pads (rear pads and rotors and are waiting their turn), I decided to just install a remanufactured front drive axle assembly with a warranty, instead of having the current one rebuilt again.

My hope is that by buying and installing a remanufactured front differential from a company well known for providing quality rebuilt units, I will get a quality unit that will last a long time.

I also had a brand new OEM AWD transfer case, purchased from a local GM dealer, installed this past spring by my former mechanic.

By doing this installation myself, I limit the down time of my truck and also save on the labor cost.

Not to mention the fact that I am confident that I can perform this installation, at this time.

That is something I do not feel I could have done over the past few years due to health issues.

I am in decent shape right now, but I know that could change at any moment.

I need to strike while the iron is hot.

(y)

OKIE DOKIE..

Was wondering why you did not just replace the guts

Good luck and ensure you have some sort of helper.... as ya never know when extra set of hands will (pardon the PUN) come in HANDY!

Thanks!

I did purchase a 450 lb transmission jack as my helper.

The front diff, including the wooden shipping crate, is supposed to weigh in at 135 lbs.

I feel that jack will be enough.

The trick might be more of how high I have the front of the truck jacked up than how much the diff weighs.

I will test the placement of the jack under the truck before I commit.

It looks as though I will still have to maneuver the diff some to wiggle it into position.

Removing the old one should confirm this.

Another unknown is exactly how much of the steering gear will have to be removed.

I watched my mechanic drop the front diff and secure it out of the way several times while replacing the oil pan and later the oil pump.

Some sources indicate I will have to remove both tie rod ends and the center link.

Still, others indicate I just have to unbolt the center link and secure it out of the way.

Regardless, I have obtained the tools I think I will need to remove whatever has to be moved or removed.

I have all of my torque settings located and written down.

I have read the GM shop manual procedures and watched several videos.

I am just hoping this doesn't turn into another 12+ hour slug fest like my last project was.

I was sore for a week afterwards, but I got it done and I am very happy with the results.

This old man still has a little fight left in him.

Not much, but hopefully enough.

(y)

Well, I woke up this morning and decided to get this project done today.

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing, I figured.

I started at 7:00 AM and took plenty of short breaks along the way.

I wrapped everything up and cleaned and put away all of my tools by 4:00 PM.

A few things I would like to recommend to anyone wanting to do this repair.

First, spend the money to purchase the 450 LB transmission jack from Harbor Freight.

Best $100 bucks I ever spent, even if I never use it again.

I could not have done this by myself without it.

Second, plan on removing the two nuts for the center link and swing it out of the way.

There was a video or two where the guys did not move the center link, but it looked to me like they had a bit of a struggle with the R&R, having to tip and turn the diff in odd ways to get it out and back in.

I tried to do it without moving the center link for a quick second.

Do yourself a favor and go ahead and plan to move the center link.

It makes things go much smoother.

You do not (or at least I did not have to) remove the tie rod ends.

The center link will swing far enough out of the way to R&R the front differential.

I also chose to remove both front tires.

This gave me better access for my impact wrench and torque wrench, both with extensions, to the CV axle flange bolts.

The most difficult part was getting the two mounting bolts to line up while also getting the two studs to line up on the right side.

Even though I attempted to make sure to bushings were in the same location on the new front diff as they were on the old front diff, they ended up being a little off and I had to drop the new front diff again to persuade the bushings a little more for them to fit.

Once I got the first fastener lined up, I was able to pivot the diff around using the transmission jack until each fastener finally fell into place.

I sure was happy when that last bolt slid into place.

Now, the front differential, both CV axle shafts and both wheel bearings along with the front brake pads and rotors hubs are done.

I plan to go ahead and get a alignment and tire rotation, just for good measure in the next few days.

I'm hoping to get some more miles out of these tires.

After that, I still have to do the rear brake pads and rotors.

I really feel good about accomplishing these last few repairs on my own.

It wasn't too long ago that I could not see myself even trying to do some repairs like these on my own.

Hopefully, when I get the last ones done, I won't have to mess with those kinds of things for a long time.

(y) 

Well done man.  (y) And all in one day to boot.  I'm confident something like that would take me multiple days. 

Great job..  :cheers:

Thanks!

I feel I am now qualified to stand to the side, with a tall glass of sweet tea, and point and make comments as someone else does this repair to their truck.

:laugh:

frito said:
Well done man.  (y) And all in one day to boot.  I'm confident something like that would take me multiple days.

Once I finally got the front diff stabbed at all connection points, the wrap up job went fairly quickly.

I feel I did a good job of planning ahead with getting all of the tools and specs I was going to need and reading the GM shop manual and watching as many videos online as I could.

I was not found wanting for a tool that I would need, so there were no mid-project runs out to find a tool or something.

That's usually one of the things that adds a lot of time to my projects.

I am glad I had previously purchased the Craftsman corded 450 lb ft impact wrench.

That and my newly purchased ball joint removal tool kit made getting the center link connections off much easier.

The remanufactured front differential came pre-filled with new gear oil (I checked to make sure) and the next thing to do with it is to change out the gear oil after 500 miles. 

Back