• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need help choosing tires

avcutlass74

I have a 2002 Z71, just looking for suggestions on tires, thanks! I do a lot of local stop and go driving, and I have 4 seasons with more than average snow during the winter.

What's your budget.

Might want to look at Tire rack website and read some reviews and see what they recommend based on your specific needs.
I have always been happy with Michelin tires for my vehicles. Good mileage and traction.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

For pure winter tires I would go with Nokian Hakka LT2 for studded and Nokian Hakka R3 SUV non-studded.

What state are you from, so we  know what kind of snow you are talking about.
I like Michelin ms2 ltx,

I have the same truck.  Bought Cooper Discover AT3s 5000 miles ago.  They are quiet on the HWY and never had to chain up elk hunting in northern Colorado.  I'd buy another set when these are gone.  Bob

I forgot to add:  I'll never buy Michelins. 

Is the $600-700 Budget is that out the door price or Tire only price?

Call around yuor local tire installers and see what they have...

Goodyear Wrangler HP (OEM tires work well and priced well around me - last long time as well
And just under $700 for all 4. before install

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus may be my next tire purchase, awesome tire on wife's Traverse at least. But I'm on the street/highway nearly 100% of the time. If you offroad more (I see the z71 package) consider the Bridgestone Revo3.

I'm in Canada, the coldest part.  We see a lot of cold (-40 lows) and a decent amount of snow.  Goodyear Duratracs were a game changer for me.  I use them year round.

I wouldn't use "all season" tires if you have proper winters. We have 4 seasons and winters with a lot of ice and snow. I use two sets so that I have the best grip I can have.

I have had great experiences with Uniroyal tires in the past. One set on a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, and another set on a 2012 cadillac SRX. I have not run a set of their truck tires.

I like my cooper AT3 tires.
No clue how they perform in snow but there great in wet weather

If you live in flat country or hills/mountains is also a big factor.  I live near the appalachians so I always tried to pay more for tires when I had my '03.  But... actually, now with stabilitrak, it actually helps enough that you can get by with less expensive tires.  I've felt that kick in before I've had to turn into the slip...

Ive been running a set of General Grabbers sine last winter and really like them. Barely any noise on dry highway and never feel stuck in snow/ice. Probably not doing them any good running all year long but no budget for true winter tires. Rubber is a little soft for summer driving. They ran about 225 each here in NYC.

I'm driving a stock 2004 Z71 Avalanche with body armor fitted with Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's. They are by far the best all around tires that I found for my needs. I went up one size on my Z71 with no problems at all. This is the 4th set of these I've put on this truck and i love them to death. They are absolutely amazing in the snow. In the middle of a big New York blizzard 5 years back I pulled out 8...YES 8 cars stuck in the ditches on my way home from work. (p.s i had to get a rebuilt tranny the following spring) I average just over 40K miles out of a set of tires which is real reasonable considering the variety of hard driving I do.  In my opinion they are the best bang for the buck by far. Good luck and keep us posted with your decision.

You should provide more information as to your driving conditions.  City or Country roads?  Highway speeds or City Driving?  Hot California weather or Alaska?

I'm in Saskatchewan, we range from -45 to +95 depending on the time of year.  I'm usually city driving, but regularily am on gravel roads.  I find Goodyear Duratrac to be really good.  They are the best thing outside of a dedicated snow tire on cold and ice, and they seem to be standing up on the bad roads in the heat.  Been using them 5 or 6 years with no problems.

Cheers

Back