• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear Main and Oil Pan Gasket Replaced

CenFL Avalanche

In the last two weeks, I had the rear main seal and oil pan gasket replaced on my 2007 5.3 Avalanche.  Replacing the rear main first reduced most of the oil leaking, but a week later the oil pan gasket was replaced to rid the remaining leak.  After a 300 mile trip this weekend, I see no sign of oil leaking.  Good for another 150K miles.

CenFL Avalanche said:
In the last two weeks, I had the rear main seal and oil pan gasket replaced on my 2007 5.3 Avalanche.  Replacing the rear main first reduced most of the oil leaking, but a week later the oil pan gasket was replaced to rid the remaining leak.  After a 300 mile trip this weekend, I see no sign of oil leaking.  Good for another 150K miles.

:woohoo:

It sure does feel good to finally get all of the oil leaks resolved, doesn't it?

It finally took me having the entire rear main oil seal back plate with included rear main seal assembly replaced.

I had previously had the entire oil pan replaced because the mounting bolt holes for the oil cooler had been over torqued too many times over the years from techs trying to stop an oil leak at that location.

I also replaced the seals on both valve covers.

It is nice to be able to park the truck without leaving a large oil slick on the ground everywhere I went.

(y)

I drove my Avy about 50K miles with a slight leak, but the leaking got worse this year.  The shop I took it to replaced the rear main seal and cover as well.  The oil pan gasket was unexpected, but I had it replaced after I got under the truck and saw the remaining leak from the oil pan.   

Goof Off concrete degreaser was great stuff to remove the oil stains.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off-32-oz-Concrete-Cleaner-Degreaser-FG820/300723090

:B:

Back